Prebiotics for Skin
When it comes to skincare, most of us generally look for products that are infused with prebiotics and antioxidants to help combat the negative effects of free radicals. But have you ever wondered what are the different roles of prebiotics in our skincare?
Prebiotics are supporting healthy microflora on the skin. Prebiotics have an effect on the microflora, which is the population of bacteria that lives on the skin. Our skin contains its own microflora whose composition changes according to conditions of skin moisture and temperature, but also according to the external environment, diet, hygiene habits, etc.
The most common types of beneficial bacteria found on the skin are Staphylococci, Micrococci, Corynebacterium and Propionibacteria.
Prebiotics are food for your skin that helps to rebuild the skin’s natural barriers, which mature skin tends to lack. This creates a healthier, rejuvenated foundation for your daily skincare regimen.
Here are some of the beauty benefits of prebiotics:
- Helps Control Acne Breakouts: Prebiotics are a powerful ingredient that fights against skin inflammation, thereby, reducing the chances of breakouts. Prebiotics keep the acne-causing bacteria away from the skin and can effectively tackle cystic acne as well.
- Protects Skin Barrier: Prebiotics play a vital role in protecting your skin’s protective barrier. They maintain a healthy balance of the bacteria in the skin microbiome that strengthen the skin barrier, thus encouraging its ability to shield. A strong skin barrier makes sure that the skin is protected against sun damage and pollutants.
- Soothes Skin: Prebiotics have a soothing effect on the skin and they provide relief from rashes, irritation and redness as well. Usually, prebiotic serums are gentle and extremely effective for sensitive skin. They maintain the skin’s pH balance and promote healthy-looking skin.
How to Use Prebiotics in Skincare?
One of the great initiatives in taking care of your skin is to add prebiotics to your skincare. Even though prebiotics can work effectively all alone, the result is far better when you combine them with probiotics.
Always buy fragrance-free and non-comedogenic products so as to avoid allergic reactions. Include prebiotics infused body wash and face wash in your skincare regime to cleanse your skin and provide enough moisture. It will help balance the pH level of your skin and keep it supple for a long time.
Prebiotic face serum is also available in the market and it will help in locking the moisture in your skin to provide soothing effects. It may also show some anti-ageing benefits.
Skin boosters are also enriched with prebiotics to make the skin barrier stronger and keep harmful external allergens at bay. Prebiotics nourishes the microbiota on the skin by maintaining overall skin’s health.
Health Benefits of Prebiotics
A healthy gut is responsible for over 70% of the body’s immune functions. So not surprisingly, prebiotics can be found in some of the most nutrient-dense foods like fruits and vegetables, legumes, oats and whole grains.
Prebiotics are essentially carbohydrates that are available for digestion by various bacteria in the colon. Nowadays, more and more research is being carried out to explore the benefits of prebiotics for overall health. Here are some of the top health benefits of prebiotics that you should know about.
Research indicates that prebiotics has a positive effect on immune cells found in the skin. This helps keep skin healthy and protect against skin infections, making prebiotics valuable for those suffering from psoriasis and eczema. The nutrients found in prebiotics help your body’s ability to ward off infections and strengthen your body’s defence system against germs.
Prebiotics also improve the health of your digestive system and reduce the risk of colon cancer, one of the most common forms of cancer.
Prebiotic rich foods like raw garlic and raw onions, help control and prevent acne and other inflammatory skin conditions like rosacea and dermatitis.
- The gut helps in the digestion of food and also helps to maintain good health. Probiotic drinks help in creating a favourable environment for healthy bacteria to reside, which then helps in the production of anti-inflammatory agents that help to ensure that the digestive system works well. The anti-inflammatory agents then help to ensure that there are no infections or allergies related to any food item consumed. But probiotics not only promote a healthy gut but also promote healthy skin.
Prebiotics are among the most beneficial ingredients to be used in the personal care industry. From improving gut flora to helping with weight management, prebiotics help in protecting your skin and body.
Prebiotics have been found to help lower blood pressure, cholesterol and body weight because they can help increase insulin sensitivity.
- Prebiotics can also improve digestive health. For instance, some prebiotics like xylooligosaccharides (XOS) could stimulate immune cells in the gastrointestinal tract, leading to a reduction in harmful microbes in the gut. They have been found to speed up the healing of wounds and increase the production of a chemical that helps produce a stronger immune system.
Prebiotics – live bacteria – can make your skin, hair and nails look healthier and stronger, and even reduce the chances of developing pimples and acne.
Prebiotics are essentially non-digestible food ingredients that act as food for the good bacteria in our gut, which enhances the growth of the beneficial bacteria.