Ways to stop hair fall and hair whitening
Hair whitening and hair fall is the most common yet serious problem which people suffer from nowadays. Everyone at least suffers from one of them. Either they have white hair or suffer from hair loss. Both of these are natural phenomena and could happen to anyone at any age.
A lot of teenagers also suffer hair whitening and hair loss problems. Everyone loses 100 hair strands each day. But excessive hair loss and hair whitening can be troublesome and often causes worry, affecting self-esteem in men and women.
Because they are so common there are a lot of remedies which you can do to prevent or stop them:
Causes of hair loss and hair whitening
1) Unbalanced diet causes hair fall
Hair is almost 91% protein. If you are not ingesting nutrients like proteins, fatty acids, vitamins and macronutrients required for your hair growth and hair health then you may suffer hair problems. Deficiency of these nutrients hampers the growth of hair, lack of lustre, weak locks etc.
2) Stress leads to hair fall
Many experiments show that if you are under continuous stress it can also affect your hair health and it’s the main reason for hair whitening and hair loss. People who stay under a lot of stress and mental pressure are to suffer from severe hair problems like-
- Telogen Effluvium
- Alopecia areata
3) Using chemical products
Using a lot of chemical products in your hair may cause an accumulation of chemical gunk on your scalp which may result in hair fall and hair whitening. There are many chemicals that can damage your hair and are found in hair cosmetics like-
- Polyethylene Glycols
- Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
- Sodium Chloride
4) Washing your hair daily
Shampoos contain chemicals called surfactants that help cleanse the hair by removing excess impurities from the scalp and hair. Some shampoos also contain a chemical called sulphate, which produces a rich fibre for cleansing hair and removing excess oil. A chemical-based shampoo that you use can cause your hair to dry out and break up, eventually leading to hair loss.
If you use a mild shampoo then avoid washing your hair at a regular interval. Mild shampoos contain a lot of paraben in them which is harmful to our scalp and promotes hair loss.
5) Smoking and drinking binge
If you are suffering from hair problems then you should probably stop your drinking and smoking binge. Drinking and smoking affect your overall health which also compromises hair loss and male pattern baldness.
There are many side-effects of smoking and drinking, on hair few are-
- It dehydrates the scalp and also depletes the collagen in hair
- Causes dandruff which makes hair follicles weak
- Premature whitening of hair
- Leads to Alopecia and weakens our immunity
6) Take a shower after working out to prevent hair fall
Sweat has Lactic acid and when it mixes with the keratin of our hair it leads to damage to the hair. If you sweat a lot after a workout session then you should take a shower to prevent the sweat from damaging your hair roots and causing hair loss.
7) Dyeing your hair too much causes hair fall
Products containing chemicals like dye and shampoos contribute to premature hair whitening. Hair dye contains a lot of chemicals and after you dye your hair there are chances of it getting white because of the internal damage caused. Hydrogen peroxide is one such harmful chemical that is present in dye and excessive use of these damages the enzyme called catalase which breaks hydrogen peroxide in water and oxygen.
8) Deficiency of melanin
Your hair follicles contain pigment cells known as melanin which gives your hair colour. Generally, with time hair follicles lose pigment cells which leads to greying of hair but the lack of some nutrients and protein supplements also causes melanin to fall below acceptable levels which causes hair whitening.
9) Hydrogen peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide accumulates in your hair shafts and bleaches the hair causing them to turn grey and eventually white.
10) Know what is bad for your hair
Hair care is in your hands, you should be aware of products which can affect your hair growth, white hair or hair fall. Avoid using products that damage your hair. You should know what is bad for your hair and treat them with the best hair care products.
Facts about white & grey hair
- Your hair is unpigmented.
- Your genes play a major role.
- Your body hair turns grey as well.
- Your race is also an important factor.
- Age is the main factor for grey hair.
How you can prevent hair loss
1) Eat a balanced diet
Add vitamins and all green vegetables to your diet to keep your hair healthy and strong. Biotin is a water-soluble vitamin that can be taken to convert nutrients into energy. You can involve food in your diet like-
- Nuts and Seeds
2) Massage your scalp with essential oilsOur scalp needs to be exfoliated to promote hair growth and get rid of the dirt completely. Essential oils nourish our scalp by cleaning it also. It helps your hair follicles remain active. Massaging not only helps in healthy hair but also has many advantages like, destressing, improving blood circulation etc. If you massage your scalp with the best essential oil, it will help in eradicating dry flakes and dandruff. A few essential oils you can use are-
- Tea Tree oil
- Argon oil
- Rosemary oil
- Jojoba oil
3) Exercise and meditate daily
Working out daily warms up your body and balances up to your hormones. Yoga and meditation are effective in reducing hair fall and preventing hair whitening as we stay fit by doing that.
- Exercise is often combined with a healthy diet that keeps your body healthy, and your hair is a sign of your health.
- Continuous exercise can help prevent types of hair loss because it improves blood flow to your scalp.
4) Onion juice for hair growth
Onion juice contains catalase which helps reduce hydrogen peroxide which gets accumulated in your hair shafts. This helps reverse greying and enhances the health of your hair. A few benefits of onion juice on hair are-
- Onion juice helps to increase the growth of your hair, if used properly you can see the visible impact within weeks if not months.
- Onion juice also stops excess hair loss by increasing the level of the antioxidant enzyme catalase, known to provide nourishment to the scalp because it contains sulfur.
- Onions also boost collagen production and enhance blood circulation to the scalp which will eventually help the hair follicles grow faster.
5) De-stressing to reduce hair fall
Stress is a part of the bigger picture where disease and other problems start. Cut some chores from your daily routine and shake off some stress as it might be a reason for your hair fall and hair whitening. Go outdoors or work out daily.
6) Castor oil to enhance hair growth
It enhances blood circulation to the follicles and boost hair growth. It also contains omega-6 essential fatty acids that also boost hair darkening.
7) Increase intake of vitamin B12
Vitamin B12 deficiency causes pernicious anaemia, and your hair losing its pigment is a symptom of the condition. This condition can be reversed by maintaining a balanced diet that is giving you the right amounts of vitamins.
8) Protect your hair from UV rays
Protect your hair when you go out in sun with a scarf or hat. Many heat protecting products protect hair follicles from UV rays.
Side effects of chemical hair dyes
Hair colouring is basically chemistry. It is all about the reactions that take place between the pigments in your hair, and the pigments in dye, peroxide, and ammonia. With all the experience with chemicals, the one thing is that they are usually not good. Here’s why:
- Allergic Reactions
- Over Processing
- Effects On Fertility
If none of these remedies worked for you then you should consult a dermatologist. You can also check our products which are suggested by our hair experts at Mars by GHC website.
Frequently Asked Question
Are grey hairs caused by stress?
Stress can lead to premature greying of hair by affecting the stem cells that are responsible for regenerating hair pigment. The findings give insights for future research into how tension can impact stem cells and tissue regeneration.
Why is my hair white at 18?
Though ageing is the primary cause of grey hair premature greying of hair in the early 20s or 30s is now very common. Genetic factors, tension, lack of nutrition, chemicals, smoking or any underlying disease like anaemia can also cause premature white hair.
1. Premature Greying of Hair: Review with Updates