Henna for hair
There are many ways to enhance your hair. Not only can you style it in various ways, but you can also dye it, perfect it and even repair it if it's been damaged through heat or the elements. However, most people feel that it's better to get a quality product that will look good for a long time and help strengthen hair in the process. Henna is perfect for all of these reasons.
Henna is a dye obtained from a plant called Lawsonia inermis, or henna tree. Henna is used as a natural and temporary body art due to its property of dyeing skin. Henna is used to dye skin and hair, whereas black henna and neutral henna are not the derivatives of henna plants.
Benefits of henna for hair
Henna powder for hair has been used since ancient times in many eastern countries by both men and women. Apart from being a natural dye, henna strengthens and conditions hair. Here are a few benefits of using henna for hair.
Henna helps in boosting hair growth substantially. Henna powder is also used to make essential oils that are primarily used to enhance hair growth.
Natural hair dye
One of the significant benefits of henna is it is a natural and excellent hair dye. It is healthier for your hair and free from harsh chemicals that damage your hair. It is also a cost-effective option when it comes to hair dyeing. Some people even use it to dye their beard.
Split end repair
Dry hair is most prone to split ends, and cutting is not the solution. To stop split ends from repeatedly appearing, you need to moisturize and condition your hair. Using henna for hair can help in nourishing, moisturizing, hydrating, and conditioning your hair. These properties would prevent split ends from occurring again.
Henna gets rids of excess grease and dirt from the scalp by soothing overactive sebaceous glands. It also gets rid of dandruff and also prevents it from coming back.
Reduce hair fall
Henna improves follicle development and growth. Thus it prevents and reduces hair problems like hair fall, hair thinning, etc.
Tannins found in henna attach to the hair and make hair strands stronger without penetrating the hair shaft to reduce damage. Henna makes your hair thicker, stronger, and even lustrous.
Reduces scalp itchiness
Scalp itchiness might be due to dryness or any microbial growth. Henna has antifungal and antimicrobial properties that can soothe your scalp, cool down, and control scalp itchiness.
Henna soothes overly secreting sebaceous glands and thus controls natural oil production. This helps in balancing the pH of the scalp to its optimum natural levels and strengthens hair follicles.
When used and hydrating, hair mask ingredients like egg whites, yogurt, etc., make a good conditioner. It gives a natural color to your hair, smoothens it, and also decreases frizz.
How to mix henna for hair?
Natural henna will give you a shade between brown to reddish-brown. Here are a few methods to apply henna for hair.
Henna and tea hair mask
- Soak the henna powder in tea decoction or coffee water overnight in a cast iron vessel or skillet. Note if you are using coffee water, it will give a prominent red color.
- Next morning, add a teaspoon of lemon juice and yogurt or even egg white as per requirement. Leave this paste for an hour, and then apply this paste to clean hair. Leave this hair mask on your hair for at least 2 hours.
- Rinse well with cold water till you get rid of this hair mask
- Make sure not to shampoo or condition your hair after rinsing henna. Wash your hair the next day.
Henna and hibiscus hair mask
- Grind a few leaves of the hibiscus plant with henna to make a smooth and fine paste. Add water as per requirement.
- Add two-three tablespoons of lemon juice to this paste and mix it well
- Apply evenly to hair and scalp and leave it for half an hour.
- This mask controls and reduces dandruff along with deep conditioning your hair.
Henna and amla hair mask
- Mix three tablespoons of henna to one cup of amla powder and two-three tablespoons of fenugreek powder. Add water to this mixture to make a thick paste.
- Add one egg white and a teaspoon of lemon juice to this thick paste. Let the paste sit for an hour before using.
- Apply this protein-filled hair mask evenly to the scalp and hair length.
- This hair mask has deep conditioning properties and reduces hair fall.
How to apply henna for hair?
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo well before applying henna. Do not use conditioner as it might reduce the effectiveness of henna.
- Use oil or petroleum jelly on the hairline to prevent skin from staining. Use gloves to protect your hands and nails from stains.
- Comb your dry hair to remove all the tangles and part hair from the center.
- Divide the one side of the partition into 2 inches of comprehensive parts and apply the henna paste generously from roots to tips.
- Cover your entire scalp and hair length similarly and wrap it around into a bun if you have long hair.
- Cover hair with a plastic wrap or shower cap to prevent the hair mask from drying up.
- Gently rinse the henna from the hair with some lukewarm water. The color takes a day or two to develop ultimately.
- Wash and condition your hair with mild shampoo and conditioner after feeling like the color has completely developed.
Henna is popularly used for body art, and hair dye is a natural hair dyeing agent with several benefits to hair. It gets rid of dandruff, itchiness and conditions hair, maintains pH levels, etc. this article will guide you through some of the benefits of henna for hair, henna hair mask recipes, and how to apply it.