Benefits Of Sunscreen For Men
Men and skincare are two words you won't hear easily. Most men do not understand the importance of skincare or are too proud to use products for their skin. Our society has taught men that skincare is only for women as they care more about their looks.
However, with the changing scenario many men have started paying more attention to their skin requirements. With more and more men, beauty brands coming up with great products have given men's skin care a jumpstart that it deserved. Many men beauty bloggers are actively promoting the benefits of skincare for men and with this new wave of positivity and gender neutrality we are bound to see a change.
Sunscreen is an essential part of our summer skincare, we all must swear by it. While dermatologists promote using sunscreen all year long, the summer season is when we need it the most. Our skin is sensitive and can be easily damaged with the harmful UV rays of the sun.
IMPORTANCE OF SUNSCREEN FOR MEN
Men no doubt have a thicker skin as compared to women and are less prone to suffering from skin burn and pigmentation that may be caused due to the harmful rays of the sun. However, using a sunscreen daily along with a moisturizer can help you tone down the early signs of ageing and can also protect your skin from summer tanning.
A 2013 survey showed that less than 15% of men use sunscreen everyday, however nearly 30% of women use sunscreen on a regular basis. It is time that men understand the importance of sunscreen and start applying it on a regular basis.
Men who are always on the go should choose an appropriate sunscreen, being in the sun for longer periods of time can also be a cause of skin cancer, while a sunscreen acts as a barrier between the sun and the skin giving the skin protection that it requires.
Let us now share some important things to keep in mind while buying sunscreen.
- It is a plus point if you know your skin type, if you form an oily to combination skin type then it will be better if you invest in a gel based sunscreen as it will not be too heavy on your skin. If you are from a dry skin type then you must invest in a thick hydrating sunscreen as it will keep you sorted for a long time.
- Always go for a sunscreen with more than SPF 15, the market is filled with sunscreen with SPF 15 but they are not really useful as they will give you protection only for a limited time. Our recommendation will be to look for sunscreen with SPF 30 and above. They will keep you sorted throughout the day.
- This should go without saying the light skin tone you have the higher should be your SPF as it will protect you from tanning and pigmentation.
- If you are also confused between UVA, UVB then we are here to sort your worries. Look for a sunscreen that will protect you from both UVA and UVB. These sunscreens are called “broad spectrum”.
- You need to apply your sunscreen at least 20-30 minutes before you have to head out. As sunscreens take a while to settle in and start working.
- If you are out for a longer period of time then you can touch up with your sunscreen every two hours to make sure you are being protected for a longer time.
There are a lot of sunscreens available in the market so choose wisely, do not be fooled by the marketing strategies, always read up about the ingredients that the sunscreen contains and do your thorough research about it.
We hope this article has been of help to all the men out there getting started on their skincare journey. Sunscreen is a holy grail product for summertime and an absolute must irrespective of your gender. We hope this will give you a push to use sunscreen every time you head out.