Hair Oil For Hair Growth
The first impression is the last… we don’t get a second chance to make a first impression so why not be the best versions of ourselves always? Usually, the first thing that we notice in a person is the hair. Shiny and lustrous hair always gives a lasting impression. Keeping our hair healthy and hydrated will help in minimizing hair damage and that is why taking proper care of hair is important.
Hair loss is a very common problem that each one of us is facing, it can be due to stress, use of shampoos containing chemicals, hormonal changes, etc. We tend to follow the celebrities who guarantee us that their branded shampoos will work miraculously on our hair. However, the sad truth is that we are getting swayed away by these misleading advertisements which ultimately damage our hair. To get healthy, shiny, and strong hair, we need to follow a hair care regime that is effective and suitable for all types of hair.
- Oiling hair: Oiling your hair once a week has a lot of hidden benefits that we are unaware of. Our mothers and grandmothers always emphasize oiling hair and getting an oil massage but we never realize the benefits that it holds until we start losing our hair due to insufficient nutrients and minerals that our scalp requires.
- Finding the right shampoo: Finding a shampoo that is suitable for your hair type can be a tough job. We would suggest you do thorough research before buying shampoo. Avoid using shampoos that contain sulfate because it is a harmful chemical that might damage your hair. You can use baby shampoos as well if you are someone who is suffering from hair loss, as baby shampoos do not contain any strong chemicals that can harm your scalp or hair.
- Combing gently: Do not comb wet hair as wet hair is very fragile and prone to breakage. Use a wooden comb as it helps in distributing the scalp oil throughout the hair, to each strand and makes your hair look non-greasy, shiny, and bouncy. Rigorous brushing can also make your hair vulnerable to breakage so comb your hair twice a day and be gentle with it.
- Avoid using heat styling tools: Regular use of hairstyling tools leads to split ends. It leads to porous hair and increases the chance of hair damage.
- Stress management techniques: Mental health is as important as physical health. Stress, induced by any kind of factor can lead to hair loss so try out some stress management techniques that will bring you back on the right track.
- Scalp nourishment: Use natural hair masks and home remedies that can nourish your hair in a way that you don’t need to spend pennies on a hair spa.
- Hair coloring: Avoid coloring your hair with artificial colors which contain harmful chemicals that can damage hair severely and prove to be good for nothing! Embrace your natural hair color and flaunt whenever and wherever required… A good hair day should always be appreciated.
- Healthy diet: We are what we eat and so the diet should be our priority when it comes to wellbeing. Foods rich in vitamins are essential for healthy and lustrous hair so add eggs, milk, fruits, green leafy vegetables, nuts, carrots, grains to your diet. Lack of vitamins such as iron leads to hair loss so even if you are following any fad diet, do not forget that the health of your hair is far more important than trying out trendy diets which will become outmoded real quick.
- Hair trimming: Regular hair trimming will help you get rid of split ends and make your hair look healthy. Try to trim your hair every 6-8 weeks to maintain a proper hair care routine.
Getting a good oil massage makes us feel relaxed and eases our stress or headache. It helps in increasing moisture, luster, shine and keeps our scalp hydrated. It softens the frizzy hair, pouring in all the vitamins and minerals which might have been washed away due to frequent use of shampoo.
Oiling hair has been one of the most followed Ayurvedic techniques in India to get bulky hair. These days, many people try hair oiling not just for head massages but also to maintain the health and vibrancy of hair. It can be a beneficial technique in reducing hair fall.
HOW TO APPLY HAIR OIL
Blood circulation increases while getting a head massage, ultimately improving the health of hair and promoting hair growth. Many people apply hair oil to prevent dandruff as well.
Hair oiling tips to follow:
- Take a handful of oil in your palm and apply it to your scalp, move your fingertips in a circular motion to get the most out of your massage.
- Apply the remaining oil left on your palms to the hair strands.
- You can leave it for a few hours before washing or you can also cover it with a towel overnight.
- Use a mild shampoo to wash your hair and rinse thoroughly.
- Apply coconut oil as a conditioner to get a shiny look.
BENEFITS OF OILING HAIR
Daily, we encounter dust and impurities that degrade the health of our hair. One major benefit of oiling hair is that it reduces hygral fatigue.
Hygral fatigue is a type of hair condition that damages hair follicles because of excessive exposure to pollution. The moisture penetrates the outer layer of hair and reaches the inner cortex. The symptoms include a gummy feeling when hair is wet and it will stretch in a weak state as well before breaking. It can lead to excessive frizziness and dullness in hair.
Oil helps to exfoliate our scalp which can help in reducing hair fall. Due to the use of chemical treatments and pollution, an important compound, lipids, reduces in our hair. Lipids play a vital role in making our hair look healthy, glossy, and shiny. Oil helps to strengthen the hair shaft and it can be done by leaving the oil on hair overnight.
BEST HAIR OIL TO USE
Different people have different hair needs and different oils have different vitamins hence your needs will determine which hair oil is best for you.
Nevertheless, most hair oil will help in strengthening the shaft of your hair. Just keep in mind to test the oil before applying directly to your scalp. Some oil might be a little reactive depending on your skin and hair type so do a patch test before using hair oil.
Let’s explore some oils and their properties:
- Coconut oil: The main component of coconut oil is lauric acid. Lauric acid is fond of proteins and hence creates a bond with them. This helps the oil to penetrate directly inside the hair shaft. This helps the hair to retain protein and prevents hair damage. Coconut oil is very light due to its low molecular weight and directly enters the hair shaft. It is suitable for almost all hair types.
- Sesame oil: It reduces frizziness and prevents the growth of split ends. It is rich in vitamin B1, calcium, copper, iron, zinc, manganese, and magnesium. It also gives deep conditioning to the scalp and helps in smoothening the hair shaft. It has antibacterial and antifungal properties that are effective in treating dandruff.
- Almond oil: Almond oil is lighter than sesame oil but thicker than coconut oil. It contains vitamins such as B, K, and E. Vitamin E can help in reducing oxidative stress.
- Jaborandi oil: It is a herbal plant that grows in the tropical forests of South America and is a major ingredient in shampoos and gels. It is considered one of the most effective therapeutic oils and encourages hair growth by nourishing a dry scalp. Jaborandi oil also helps in preventing premature greying, split ends, and dandruff.
- Argan oil: Argan oil, widely known as Moroccan oil, is rich in vitamin A, C, E, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids. It works as a natural conditioner and is beneficial in strengthening the hair.
- Moringa oil: Moringa oil helps in preventing dry hair. Due to its oleic acid properties, it is a great fit for moisturizing hair.
- Bhringraj/amla oil: Amla oil gives a cooling effect and helps in preventing lice or scalp infections.
- Tea tree oil: Tea tree oil helps in improving blood circulation and also helps in unclogging the hair follicles which will eventually help in better growth.
FREQUENCY OF APPLYING HAIR OIL
As a part of an effective ayurvedic hair care regime, researchers suggest oiling your hair at least twice a week, especially the night before you plan to wash your hair. But it might not be convenient for some people to apply oil and leave it overnight so they can apply oil one or two hours before washing hair.
Oiling hair regularly might prevent infections and damage caused by pollutants and also the chemicals present in the shampoos. It can also treat dry hair by providing moisture and keeping the scalp hydrated. If your ultimate goal is to get healthy, lustrous, and glossy hair, choose your hair oil accordingly and apply it at night to get the maximum benefit.
However, excessive oiling can clog the pores in your scalp that will attract dirt which will result in the accumulation of dandruff. So follow a proper oiling routine and provide your hair with the essential minerals and vitamins.