What is Hair Oiling?
Hair oiling is a natural way of oiling your hair by massaging it into your scalp. It is natural in the sense that you apply oil to your scalp and cover it with a hot towel or shower cap so that the oils can penetrate the hair strands.
Oiling is a practice that dates back to ancient Indian culture and is gaining popularity with practitioners of alternative medicine. Oiling the head daily or every alternate day helps in improving the blood circulation to the brain, thereby increasing memory power, concentration power and alertness. Moreover, it helps in improving metabolism, thereby aiding in weight loss. The hair will also look healthy and lustrous after regular oiling.
7 Benefits of Oiling Hair
Oil has been used for centuries in various cultures to give hair a healthy sheen and rich texture. In India, where the passion for oil is particularly strong, it is often used for religious ceremonies and even to ward off the evil eye.
The hair oils are based on 100% natural ingredients. They are rich in essential nutrients which help nourish and moisturise the hair while adding volume to thin, fine hair.
Oil massages also help in the stimulation of hair follicles, causing an increase in hair growth and volume. Applying an adequate amount of oil regularly stimulates hair growth like no other thing. So, here are some oiling tips for long-lasting health and beauty benefits.
- Well, it is rich in protein, fatty acids and other nutrients that keep the hair smooth, hydrated and nourished.
- Some people call it "oil treatment". Some people call it "massage". Even though the methods are different, they all have a common effect: they help to increase the blood circulation of your scalp. This is important because your scalp suffers from a lack of oxygen during the day, especially if you wear a hat or you have long hair. When oil is applied to the scalp, it helps to alleviate this problem.
It also reduces dandruff and prevents hair loss. If you have long hair, you can apply oil to your tips as well. It will protect them from breakage and help them grow faster.
Hair oil massage once a week can prevent hair fall because it exfoliates the scalp by cleaning dead skin cells. It also revitalizes fine hair, thus reducing the chance of hair fall.
When you apply oil to your hair, it gets essential nutrients that are vital for hair growth. Onion hair oil is one of the most widely used hair oil because it stimulates the growth of hair strands.
Hair oiling is one of the best ways to hydrate hair and also to lock in moisture. It is also used as a detangler and helps damaged hair to regain its natural lustre.
- Hair oiling is one of the few natural ways to improve hair growth, lower stress, eliminate dandruff and prevent hair fall.
When and How often Should you Oil your Hair?
You can apply your hair growth oil when your hair and scalp becomes dry as the larger molecules of hair oil may not penetrate the shaft of wet hair. There is no hard and fast rule on the frequency of applying oil to your hair. But make sure that your hair is clean before applying hair oil.
How to Oil Your Hair?
Hair oiling is an art and if you would like to become a pro in hair oiling, do follow these steps for an effective hair oiling session:
- Apply hair oil on your scalp and massage in a circular motion using your fingertips.
- Apply only a little amount of oil to your hair.
- Cover your hair with a towel or shower cap.
- You can leave it on overnight or only for 30 minutes.
- Use an SLS-free shampoo and rinse thoroughly.
- Condition as normal or you can always use coconut oil as a conditioner.
Oiling Tips to Maximize the Benefits
The scalp, like the skin on your palms, requires extra attention and care since it is a highly sensitive area. Oiling regularly should be done using good quality oil. The method of oiling is to oil the hair from root to tip. Begin with the bottommost part of your hair first, work your way up to the top and if you want to cover and massage all areas of your scalp, you can begin at the back and slowly move towards the front.
In most cases, people think that applying more hair oil will provide extra protection against harsh weather conditions such as cold and dry weather but you should always apply the right amount of oil to the scalp. If you’re using coconut oil on your hair and too much is applied, it might make your hair look greasy. Because coconut oil has a high-fat content, a little bit goes a long way.
Doing an overnight oil treatment is ideal for long, lustrous and healthy hair. A night's sleep will help your scalp fully absorb the nutrients and oils in the overnight oil treatment. For optimum results, massage your scalp with warm sesame oil.
Massage your scalp regularly with olive oil as well in order to stimulate hair growth. Olive oil for hair has antifungal properties that eliminate dandruff and other scalp conditions.
People who have oily hair can also benefit from oiling. Oiling enables your hair to stay soft and supple by closing the cuticle layers of your hair strands. Oiling also helps your hair to be strong against any type of damage.
Safflower is particularly good for dry and damaged hair as it contains linoleic acid that nourishes hair and keeps it moisturized.
- The most important thing regarding hair oiling is not quantity but consistency. Castor oil for hair needs to be applied right after you have taken a bath so that the natural oils of your skin are still on your body, which acts as a natural emollient.
There are many ways to enhance the health and beauty of your hair. You can use natural ingredients-based shampoos, conditioners, styling products and other such things that do their bit to make your hair look great on a daily basis. However, you will be shocked to know that one of the most effective things that you can use for enhancing the look and health of your hair is oil. Yes! Barely anyone uses oil on their hair as an accessory these days, but it is one of the best ways to keep your hair healthy and strong.