Different types of skin tone
We all have different skin tones, being an Indian we often get to see more skin tones than any other region. We are not only diverse in culture and traditions but we also have a variety of skin tones available.
We believe that all skin tones are gorgeous and each defines the other, you may be a shade lighter or darker than your friend or family and it is all due to your genes.
Just like people, skin tones are also different and come with different undertones. Buying makeup has become even more complicated due to various undertones, matching the right undertone can give you your perfect shade.
Difference Between Skin Tones and Skin Undertone
Skin tone is often referred to as the surface skin color, whereas skin undertone is the subtle hue underneath the surface, makeup often oxidizes on your skin and you must buy the correct undertone product so your face can match the rest of the body. Skin tone is determined by the amount of melanin in skin pigment present in the uppermost layer of your skin.
Here are the 4 Main Types Of Skin Tones
- Deep (Dark)
Here are the 3 Main Types Of Skin Undertones:
How To Determine Your Skin Tone?
This is one of the most asked questions of all time, people often get confused when they go to a makeup store and they have no idea about their undertones, they often end up buying the wrong product. While each skin tone has a different complexion and can be broken down into ‘very light’, ‘very deep’, here are some ways in which you can find out your skin tone.
Examine By Your Jawline
This is one such area that is usually less affected by skin color changes than the rest of your face. You start this examination by checking your freshly washed face under natural sunlight, try to figure out if it is light, medium, or deep.
Listen To What Your Friends Say
A lot of times we are unable to identify our skin type but other people can help us out in this task. You can ask your friends or your family members if they say that you are “fair,” then your skin tone is most likely light. If they’re always pointing out how tan you look, you may be a medium, and lastly, if you look pale in the winter season, but tan in the summer season, you may be deep.
Best Ways To Determine Your Skin Undertone
For once we can identify the skin tone easily but finding your skin undertone is harder than it looks, here are some tests that you can do to identify your skin undertone.
- Start by examining the color of your veins on the underside of your wrists.
- If your veins are blue or purple then that indicates you have a cool undertone.
- If you have somewhat greenish veins, you belong to the warm undertone.
- If you are not sure which color your veins are, then you are most likely a neutral undertone.
- If silver jewellery often looks flattering on your skin, you have a cool undertone.
- If gold jewellery looks flattering on your skin, you have a warm undertone.
- If both look flattering on you, you have a neutral undertone.
- This is a mere test you can be some other skin tone too and stiff find a certain type of jewellery flattering on you.
White Paper Test
The white paper test is one of the most famous ways to identify your skin undertone. Start by holding a blank piece of white paper next to your face under the sun. If your skin appears more yellow, then you probably belong to the warm undertone family but, if your skin looks more pinkish, then you're probably a cool undertone.
- This is one of the easiest ways to find your undertone look at the color of your clothes against your skin and see which ones compliment you the most.
- You have a cool undertone if colors like the blue suit you.
- You have warm undertones if shades like the yellow suit you.
- You have a neutral undertone if every shade suits you.
We know finding the right color tone and undertone is essential, however, do not stress about it we are sure you will figure out yours too. We hope that you liked the information we shared above, do try these easy examinations for yourself to figure out your skin tone and undertone. If you are still confused then you can go to a nice makeup store and ask the people managing the place to help you find your perfect shade. They will also tell you your undertone.