For thousands of years, Ashwagandha Plants were one of the staples of traditional Indian medicine. It is an herb which is being used by people for generations. It is one of the most important herbs in Ayurveda. It is commonly referred to as ‘Indian ginseng’ or ‘Indian winter cherry’.
Ashwagandha was first introduced as a medicine that can treat any medical condition. Its roots had all the power which was used as a powder in traditional Indian medicine.
It was named Ashwagandha because 'ash' means horse and this herb provides horse-like strength. Back then when no other medicine was introduced people used to rely on these types of natural herbs only. Ashwagandha was a very powerful herb as its small dose can provide a lot of strength and virility. Various parts of this plant are used for different purposes but the roots are used the most.
As this is a very powerful plant so it has some prescribed uses. Not everyone can consume it. Let’s see how we can use Ashwagandha tablets as medicine.
How to use Ashwagandha
There is a lot of active ingredient in Ashwagandha which does several things for our body like some are stimulating, some are more sedating and relaxing. Ashwagandha has a relatively short half-life of 2-4 hours which means that after 12 hours 95% of the active ingredient is excreted from our body. Not then how to use it?
1) Ashwagandha Tablets-
You can take ashwagandha’s tablets of 300-500mg with your meals. Taking a dose higher than this may not be a good option as it is a really strong drug but lower doses like 50-100 mg have been proven to reduce some stress or anxiety. The dosage depends on the condition the patient wants to treat.
2) Ashwagandha Powder-
The herb generally comes in the form of capsules, powder, and liquid extract. All the three states have a different amount of ashwagandha in them so before taking any dosage prefer to a doctor as taking high doses can cause side effects and can also be fatal.
Benefits of Ashwagandha
- Most of the time ashwagandha is used for treating stress and anxiety. It is classified as an adaptogen and a small dose of it can relieve some stress.
- It reduced insomnia, fatigue, and depression as it has a strengthening structure.
- In some cases, it has also been proven to reduce cholesterol and blood pressure levels if taken in the correct dosage. People suffering from diabetes took the supplement for 30 days and were recorded to have lower sugar levels.
- As its name suggests ‘strength of a horse’ has been used to increase energy levels and improve anemia. It has also improved concentration levels in some people.
- It may have anticancer properties. It has not been proven but a compound in ashwagandha induces apoptosis which is the programmed death of cancer cells. It also stops the production of new cancer cells in some ways.
- It increases muscle mass as it increases strength and power output. Results have been seen that men who took the supplement for 30 days straight have seen some muscle gain in their quadriceps and back extensor muscles.
- It also treats some skin conditions like rashes on some parts of the body and hyperpigmentation too.
- Ashwagandha is an overall pain reliever. It prevents pain signals from traveling along with the nervous system. It has been proven effective in treating arthritis in some people.
- Just because it lowers blood sugar levels and improves cholesterol levels it has been proven effective to boost our heart health.
- In ancient times, people used to take ashwagandha as an anti-aging herb. It has also been proven to improve the quality of sleep and mental alertness if taken in small dosages.
- Ashwagandha has adaptogen which relieves stress and eases anxiety which also prevents hair loss. It has worked for a lot of people suffering from hair loss and other hair problems.
- Some athletes and other players take this as a supplement before their tournaments to improve efficiency in the game.
- It has also been proven to improve brain function in people which are being treated for bipolar disorder.
- It has also been proven to improve the performance of men in bed. It has helped to improve erectile problems in men.
- It increases testosterone and sperm quality.
- It also reduces cortisol levels which is beneficial in many ways.
Ashwagandha for Hair
Ashwagandha when applied in the form of a paste on the scalp can prevent hair loss and promote hair growth. A lot of men who suffer from alopecia areata take supplements of ashwagandha because they have been proven to induce hair growth and improve hair follicle health. It reduces inflammation in hair roots. It also decreases scalp irritation and can help with dandruff and psoriasis.
Can you take ashwagandha daily?
You should have a prescription before taking this medicine. Researches have been done but we still lack a lot of long-term information on this drug.
If you are dealing with a small issue like stress or anxiety then take the drug in small doses and for bigger issues consult your doctor or specialist first. Children are not allowed to take this drug and the same for women going through pregnancy. People with autoimmune diseases should also avoid it unless they are recommended by a doctor.
1) It is safe if taken for a short period because long-term effects are still not proven.
2) It can cause stomach problems in some people if they are taking large doses.
3) Diarrhea and vomiting are other common side effects.
As we mentioned above, Ashwagandha is the king of Ayurvedic herbs. Ashwagandha tablets function admirably for diminishing pressure and uneasiness. It might also improve strength, performance, and increment testosterone levels. Ashwagandha tablets can also function well as a testosterone booster for men. You can take one Ashwagandha tablet in the morning, which will ensure that you have an energy-filled day. You can take another Ashwagandha tablet with a glass of milk at night, just before going to bed.
If you want to know more about issues related to health or want to buy products for hair like Minoxidil, Finasteride, Anti-Hair fall Shampoo and many more you can check them out at Mars by GHC website.