What is Maskne?
Wearing a face mask for too long can lead to some pretty uncomfortable side effects, including irritated skin. The longer you wear one, the more likely you are to experience irritated skin. Acne caused by wearing a face mask is called ‘Maskne’.
Wearing a surgical face mask or a face mask when you have a cold or flu is a common practice. But is it safe to wear? We would like to share with you some issues that a lot of people face while wearing a surgical face mask.
The main purpose of wearing these masks is to prevent the spread of germs. However, wearing these masks while being in contact with the skin can cause some issues, as these masks can cause irritation, redness and dryness. A lot of people do not even realize this and continue to use them.
Researchers have stated that wearing face masks can be hazardous for your skin. The main reason for this is that the masks can contain harmful chemicals that can be transferred to your skin when you wear them.
There are other reasons as well, which are as follows:
The masks that are made of latex, vinyl or polyurethane are most likely to cause breakouts or rashes. Also, if the mask is too tight to your face, it will cause stress and may even lead to skin irritation.
Face masks that contain perfumes or dyes can cause allergic reactions, which may result in rashes. Also, artificial fragrances and dyes contain a lot of chemicals that can be harmful to your skin.
If you are wearing face masks for a long time, then it can lead to dehydration of the skin as well.
How to Prevent Maskne?
Wearing facemasks is a very old practice in many cultures. People wear them during cleansing treatments offered at spas and salons. They are also used by many women to protect the skin from the harmful effects of city pollution and sun rays. All these reasons have one thing in common. They show a love for beautiful skin. But if you put on a face mask that does not suit your skin, this need can turn into a nightmare for your skin.
It's bad news for people who have already started suffering from acne. However, it's great news for those who have not been infected with acne yet. Yes, prevention is always better than cure and according to dermatologists, the sooner maskne is treated the less severe it becomes.
Thanks to several easy steps that you can follow and with a few effective skincare products that you can easily find online, you can manage to keep acne from popping up on your beautiful face.
- Washing Fabric Masks: Healthcare providers recommend washing cloth masks after using them to remove pathogens, oils and skin cells that can cause maskne. Individuals can choose a hypoallergenic detergent to wash their mask and use once it is completely dry.
- The Right Way to Wear the Mask: It is highly recommended to wear a comfortable mask that does not rub or irritate the skin. A poorly fitting mask is unlikely to protect the wearer and may lead to issues like maskne. Steer clear from wearing masks that contain materials that can cause an allergic reaction.
- Remove the Mask Every 4 Hours: Individuals should remove their masks for 10 to 15 minutes every 4 hours of use. This is one of the most effective ways of reducing the risk of maskne. However, always remember to remove your mask when it is safe to do so, such as when you are alone inside your car, or outdoors at least 6 feet away from others.
- Avoid Excessive Makeup: If an individual uses makeup, such as a foundation or concealer, beneath their mask, this can clog pores and lead to breakouts. Healthcare providers recommend avoiding makeup while wearing a face mask. Another option is to choose products labelled non-comedogenic so that makeup won’t clog your pores.
- Avoid Using New or Harsh Products: Wearing a mask even for a short while, can make skin more sensitive. So, to reduce potential skin problems, a person can avoid adding new products that may irritate the skin, including exfoliants, chemical peels, retinoids or aftershave creams.
- Washing & Moisturizing: Always follow a skincare routine according to your skin type. This will help treat potential skin conditions. With this in mind, regularly wash your face with a mild, gentle cleanser and apply a moisturizer to help maintain skin health. People may also consider applying petroleum jelly to prevent dry, chapped lips. However, to prevent breakouts, one should opt for an effective anti-acne gel infused with highly potent ingredients like niacinamide, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, aloe vera and zinc PCA.
Wearing face masks can cause some unwanted side effects, especially when you don’t know how to properly take care of your skin after using one. It’s important to understand what these side effects are so you can be prepared if you find yourself with an itchy, irritated face after using a face mask.