White hair is a kind of common hair problem that many people get in their age group. It is said that white hair is a sign of aging. It is easy to recognize as white hair looks very stark and dramatic.
White hair is a natural part of aging for many of us, but it doesn’t have to be a negative thing. White hair can be beautiful and in some cases even attractive. However, it can also be an undesirable effect of aging, particularly for those who don’t like the look of white hair or who want to cover up white hair.
Biotin is one of the vitamins which plays a major role in the growth of hair. Scientific research shows that biotin deficiency is the main reason for white hair. Biotin can be obtained from food sources like almonds, bananas, tomatoes, egg yolks, cereals and rice bran. In case you do not get enough biotin in your diet, you can take biotin supplements.
What are the Common Causes of White Hair?
Some of you notice it as one or two white strands but most of us don't notice it until the white hair is noticeable enough to consider it a concern. Some of the common causes of white hair are given below.
- Age: White hair usually occurs due to genes or aging. The life cycle of hair usually ranges between 2 and 6 years. When it is time for the hair to fall out, new hair starts growing to replace it. The new hair is often a different colour and texture to the old one. This is natural and happens to everyone as we get older.
- Genetics: If you have a family history of premature greying, you will likely develop white hair at an early age. Usually, greying caused by genetics are irreversible. However, you can always colour your hair with natural hair dye to mask white hair.
- Stress: Everyone deals with stress and anxiety at some point in their life but prolonged stress can lead to sleep disorders, change in appetite, high blood pressure, premature greying, etc.
- Smoking: The smoke passes through our lungs to the bloodstream and then to every organ of our body. If there is a significant amount of nicotine in the blood, it will harm the blood vessels, including those in our hair. Toxins in cigarettes can lead to white hair.
- Alopecia Areata: Alopecia Areata is a common autoimmune disease wherein the immune system attacks the hair follicles and induces the development of white hair.
- Thyroid Disorder: Underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) and overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism), both conditions can cause dry, brittle hair, premature greying of hair or thinning hair on the scalp and body which can lead to serious hair loss problems. The health of our thyroid affects the colour of our hair because these thyroid issues negatively affect melanin production in the body.
- Vitamin Deficiency: White hair can also indicate that your body is not getting enough Vitamin B12, which contributes to healthy hair growth and hair colour. Vitamin B12 deficiency can weaken the hair follicles and negatively affect melanin production.
What are the Causes of White Hair in Young Age?
It can be caused by excessive use of chemicals on hair, skin and scalp or it could also be caused by hormonal changes. Some people even inherit this tendency for not having strong pigmentation of the hair in their genes.
Due to lack of development in the dermal papilla cells of the hair follicles, there is a decrease in melanin production which leads to whitening of the hair.
How to Get Rid of White Hair?
White hair caused by genetics is usually irreversible. So, you can only try remedies to mask the colour of your hair.
Other underlying health conditions that can cause white hair can be treated with the proper diagnosis. Hormone therapy, pills, Vitamin B12 shots, etc can improve the colour of your hair.
Eat a balanced diet and avoid using styling tools or heating tools. Reduce alcohol consumption and quit smoking because smoking has been linked to affecting hair negatively.
Reduce stress with the help of meditation or by joining support groups. These techniques might help in the re-pigmentation of your hair colour.
Given below are some home remedies that might help in getting rid of grey hair.
- Eat a diet rich in copper because it can lend pigments to your hair follicles. Walnuts, fish, kale and broccoli are rich sources of omega3 fatty acids and zinc, which are imperative for restoring natural hair colour.
- Use amla powder, curry leaves, coconut oil, black tea, Mehendi or other homemade masks to colour your white hair. Avoid using artificial dye because they are packed with chemicals that can damage your hair.
- Black tea, black coffee, sage water treatment, etc can help in covering grey hair.
White hair can be a cause of concern for anyone. It is due to several reasons like genetics, stress, smoking, thyroid, and vitamin deficiencies which lead to white hair.
Medical experts often find it difficult to treat these conditions. The best way to cure white hair and conditions associated with it is herbal treatment as these herbal treatments can be used safely.