Large Facial Pores
Large open pores are pores that appear larger than normal. They are so large that they are clearly visible to the naked eye. They are wide open spaces on the skin.
They are often confused with blackheads, whiteheads, and pimples. The only difference is that blackheads, whiteheads, and pimples are all blocked pores, which means that the sebaceous glands within the pore have produced too much sebum or oil that has then plugged up the pore. The result is an inflamed bump on the skin's surface.
Open pores are not necessarily larger than closed pores, but because they're not blocked up with an excess amount of sebum or dead skin cells, they are able to expose more of the underlying pore structure.
There are many factors that contribute to large open facial pores. A few of these include aging, oily skin, genetics, medical conditions, and hormones. All of the factors mentioned above result in a significantly large increase in the number of oil glands which leads to greasy oily skin.
Generally, these pores are mainly concentrated on the forehead, the nose and the cheeks with a large number of small pores, with a larger number of open pores on the nose and the chin.
6 Easy Ways To Close ‘Large Open Pores’
Pores are small openings in the skin, allowing the elimination of toxins and keeping the skin healthy. Large open pores are caused by the combination of genetics and lifestyle factors like pollution, excessive heat, stress, or using the wrong skincare products can make your pores become large and open.
Large Scale pores are what women are usually not happy with. If you are also facing this issue, here is the quick fix to close open pores.
- Gentle Scrub: Skimmed milk is known for its skin lightening properties because it contains lactic acid which lightens the skin tone. Simultaneously, it also helps in treating acne and pimples. Mix lactic acid crystals or powder with milk and apply it to your face for 10 minutes. Scrub it off with your fingers in small circular motions, leaving your skin smooth and blemish-free.
- Wash with Cleansers: Using a cleanser every day can benefit oily skin as shown by a clinical study from 2006. It also helps in minimizing acne symptoms and closes large open pores. Use cleansers that contain glycolic acid and wash your face every day before going to bed at night.
- Use Retinoids: Topical retinoids compounds i.e. Vitamin A has been shown to have varying degrees of success at shrinking open pores. Always look for creams that have tretinoin in them. These products should be applied once a day because using topical retinoids very frequently can result in skin irritation, redness, dryness and flakiness.
- Exfoliate Regularly: Regular exfoliation can help in removing trapped toxins that make the pores look larger in appearance. A gentle facial scrub with apricot or toothing green tea can be used to exfoliate the skin. It can help clean the dirt, dead skin cells and contaminants on your skin’s surface. This will generally make your face appear smoother, firmer and may help in closing large open pores.
- Use Clay Mask: A really quick way to close pores is to use a clay mask. Clay masks can reduce inflammation and the appearance of acne scarring to a great extent. In a clinical trial from 2012, the appearance of acne lesions reduced 54% when participants used clay masks along with jojoba oil twice a week. Clay masks work on the oily area to dry out sebum underneath the pores and pull out the impurities by drying them. For best results, try a clay mask two to three times per week as part of your facial cleansing routine.
- Chemical Peels: Enlarged or open pores can be closed by doing a chemical peel. Peels with hyaluronic acid can help regulate sebum production in the skin and peels with salicylic acid can speed up the cell renewal process. This helps in replacing the older, damaged and dead skin cells. Use these peels in moderation to avoid sunburns as they can make your skin sensitive to the sun.
How to Prevent Large Open Pores?
1) Avoid using oily, smelly soaps and shower gels.
2) Always apply a good quality moisturizing cream within five minutes after taking bath.
3) Whenever possible, use cool water for bathing.
4) Once every 15 days, apply a good quality tonic or astringent on your face to close open pores.
5) Wash your face with cold water every day to shrink your pores and avoid clogging the dirt inside them. Use a toner to help cleanse your face properly.
During summer, you have to battle with various skin problems. One of the most prominent problems is large open pores. You can deal with this problem using various remedies like lemon, clay mask, aloe vera, sugar paste, cinnamon powder and other herbal remedies. All these solutions will help you treat open pores. The only thing you need to do is make sure you follow all the instructions properly.