Vegetarian breakfast items
Vegetarianism has been prevalent in India for ages and is becoming popular worldwide. In India, it is practiced for religious and ethical reasons. It is known to decrease the risks of chronic diseases and help in weight loss. A vegetarian diet is a diet that excludes meat, poultry, fish, and seafood.
There are four types of the vegetarian diets:
Lacto-ovo-vegetarian diet: includes eggs and dairy but not meat, fish, and poultry.
Lacto vegetarian diet: includes dairy but excludes other animal products such as meat, eggs, fish, and poultry.
Ovo-vegetarian diet: includes eggs but excludes all other animal products such as dairy, meat, fish, and poultry.
Vegan diet: it consists of purely plant-based foods and excludes all types of animal products like honey, dairy, eggs, meat, etc.
Vegetarian foods for weight loss
Here are some of the vegetarian foods you can include in your diet for weight loss.
It includes broccoli, bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, tomatoes, carrots, and cucumber.
Starchy vegetables are peas, potatoes, corn, and winter squash.
Bananas, kiwi, apples, mango, berries, oranges, watermelon, guava, grapes, and many other fruits are good for weight loss.
Quinoa, brown rice, millets, and barley make whole grains.
Beans and legumes
It consists of black beans, kidney beans, and lentils.
Nuts and seeds
It includes almonds, cashews, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, pistachios, pecans, and walnuts.
Nut butter, eggs, greek yogurt, milk, tofu, paneer, beans, legumes, etc., are rich in proteins.
Healthy fats include olive oil, coconut oil, nut butter, avocado, and cheese.
Vegetarian breakfast for weight loss
Vegetarians can choose from a wide range of vegetables, fruits, and dairy for a delicious yet nutritious meal. If you can include dairy, it will help in getting your daily dose of proteins.
Here are some vegetarian breakfasts which can help in weight loss.
- Vanilla yogurt with bananas or any other fruits
- Oats porridge with nuts
- Poached eggs with whole wheat bread toast
- Cooked chickpea with leafy vegetables
- Black bean and avocado with whole wheat toast.
- Dates, apricot, and oats protein bars
- Sprouts with salad dressings
- Scrambled eggs with broccoli
- Spinach, Berry, and banana
- Avocado with cottage cheese and some chilly sauce
- Whole-grain cereal with skimmed milk or soy milk, or almond milk.
- Greek yogurt with fruits and berries
- Scrambled eggs
- Stir-fried tofu with broccoli and spinach
- Oatmeal with berries and honey
- Rolled oats with nut butter like peanut butter
- Banana, eggs pancakes
- Avocado, banana, berry smoothie with some honey or dates
- Eggs, tomato, and onion sandwich with whole wheat brown bread
- Curried chickpea with broccoli and spinach
- Almond butter, apple, and cinnamon muffins
- Spinach and baked eggs with parmesan cheese
- Hummus with sunflower seeds
- Oatmeal, yogurt, and berry pancakes
- Baked sweet potatoes
- Apple cinnamon and peanut butter whole wheat brown bread toast.
Some demerits of a vegetarian diet
Here are some drawbacks
- Vegetarian foods, even if we take large portions, but not enough proteins are present in them. Proteins make you full by decreasing the ghrelin hormone, which regulates hunger.
- Vegetarian foods contain many refined carbohydrates such as bread, pizza, etc., and lack fiber.
- This diet contains high-calorie-rich foods while being nutritious, but it becomes difficult to burn calories.
- If you rely on processed foods in vegetarian foods, your weight loss goals go in vain as they contain many unnecessary additives, high in sodium, and coloring agents.
Tips to lose weight on a vegetarian diet
Choose non-starchy vegetables:
make sure to fill your plate with at least 50% with non-starchy and high-fiber food such as mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower that can make you full faster even with low calories.
Watch your food:
Watch your food portions of high-calorie food and pair nuts, seeds with low-calorie to stop you from overeating high-calorie food.
Whole foods vs. processed foods:
Eat unprocessed whole foods that do not have unnecessary ingredients. Avoid meat alternatives, frozen meals, and processed foods with unhealthy additives, salt, and even sugar.
Add loads of protein:
High protein vegetarian foods like beans, nuts, lentils, eggs, dairy, and soy products help burn more calories and build muscle rather than fat.
Whole grains, fruits, and legumes have complex carbohydrates, contributing to more calorie burning due to their complexity.
A vegetarian diet, although very difficult if you are switching from a non-vegetarian diet, is highly nutritious and also helps you in weight loss. Even though vegetarian foods lack protein, foods like tofu, nuts, eggs, yogurt, paneer, etc., can substitute proteins. Make sure to avoid processed food and refined foods.
Although a vegetarian diet consists of high-calorie foods, you can have the right balanced nutritious food with enough calories with proper planning. This article discusses vegetarian diets and different vegetarian breakfast food items for weight loss.