Shikakai oil benefits
Shikakai is a fragrant tree that is also known as Phyllanthus Amarus. It belongs to the family of Phyllanthaceae and can be found in India, Pakistan, Thailand and other tropical countries. It is a brown tree with dark green leaves and white flowers in round clusters.
The bark and the flowers of the Shikakai tree have medicinal properties that are mostly used in hair care products.
Shikakai oil contains tannin, glycosides, saponins, alkaloids, flavonoids and vitamins A, C, D, fatty acids like capric acid and oleic acid along with linoleic acid. Due to this rich content of oleic acid, it is high in moisturizing properties.
Today, a number of brands are available in the market promising to deliver benefits related to hair growth. But with so many options available, it is hard to know which product is best suited for your hair. In this article, we will share the benefits of using Shikakai oil for hair.
Shikakai is an Indian herb that has been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic remedies and practices. Shikakai is widely used as a detergent and soap ingredient – primarily because of its cleansing properties. Shikakai cleanses the scalp by removing dirt and excess oil without drying it out. It also helps remove excess dead cells from the scalp, reducing scaly skin and dandruff.
This ingredient works to stimulate hair growth by helping block DHT (Dihydrotestosterone) – a natural hormone that causes hair fall.
Some of The Benefits of Shikakai For Hair:
1) Shikakai Oil can Bring Shine And Softness to The Hair
The natural ingredients in Shikakai can help your hair to obtain a shiny and lustrous look. It can also make your hair silky and smooth in touch.
2) Shikakai Oil Can Fight Dandruff
Shikakai oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties that can prevent the growth of dandruff on the scalp. This ultimately reduces dryness and itching.
3) Shikakai Oil Improves Hair Thickness
Shikakai oil strengthens the hair follicles, which helps in healthier hair growth and lesser hair fall.
4) Shikakai Oil Can Prevent Dry Scalp
When the natural oils of our scalp wear off, it makes our scalp dry. Shikakai oil can do wonders by cleaning the scalp without washing away essential oils from our scalp.
5) Shikakai Oil Can Prevent Premature Greying of Hair
Shikakai oil can reverse premature greying because of its antioxidant properties. It can help you retain the natural colour and shine of your hair for a long time.
6) Shikakai Oil Can Prevent The Growth of Lice
Shikakai oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties which can eliminate lice from hair.
7) Shikakai Oil Can Heal Minor Wounds
Shikakai oil can enhance the performance of our scalp and can heal minor injuries on the scalp like cuts or abrasions.
8) Shikakai Oil Can Soothe Head
Shikakai oil is one of the best choices for head massages as it can reduce headaches and bring relief during hot days.
9) Shikakai Can Detangle Hair
Shikakai can easily detangle curly hair without damaging your locks. Apply Shikakai oil before shampooing and then you just need to gently run your fingers through your hair to detangle.
10) Shikakai Oil Can Prevent Split Ends
Shikakai oil can help you get rid of split ends without sacrificing your long locks. As Shikakai is rich in antioxidants, it helps to neutralize the damage caused by chemical hair treatments and free radicals.
How to Make Shikakai Oil
- Mix one tablespoon of Shikakai powder with half a cup of coconut oil or basil.
- Put the mixture in a container and let it sit for 2-3 weeks.
- Keep shaking the mixture intermittently.
- Use the oil twice a week and thereafter wash your hair using a mild shampoo.
How to Apply Shikakai Oil on Hair
- Take two tablespoons of Shikakai oil and massage it into your scalp for about 5-10 minutes.
- Work the oil from the tip to the roots of your hair.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- You can also apply Shikakai oil before bedtime and leave it on overnight.
- Rinse it off using a mild shampoo the next morning.
Possible Side Effects of Using Shikakai Oil on Hair
- Shikakai oil is usually safe to use but in some cases, some people might develop itchiness and hair loss.
- It is recommended to use Shikakai with Mehendi to reap the most benefits.
Different people have different hair needs and different oils have different vitamins hence your needs will determine which hair oil is best for you.
Nevertheless, most hair oil will help in strengthening the shaft of your hair. Just keep in mind to test the oil before applying directly to your scalp. Some oil might be a little reactive depending on your skin and hair type so do a patch test prior to using hair oil.
Health is wealth. We all understand this at least in theory. But what is important is to practice the aforesaid. Thus, one way to ensure good health is oiling and massaging the hair and scalp.