Benefits Of Lower Body Workouts
Lower body workouts are the best if you are looking to build strength and tone your legs. These workouts also focus on your stomach and core.
Since muscles in our lower body take more pressure than those in the upper body, most people start at a point where their muscles are weak and stiff. The good news is that they respond to pressure really well, and building them up is not difficult.
This may sound simple, but your diet matters as much as your workout routine. Carbs have a significant impact on your muscle mass, so make sure you have them every day.
Working out is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle and keeping our body fit. It not only helps to improve our health but also helps us to feel more energized and less tired all the time. Lower body workouts have a number of benefits, which are mentioned below:
- They help you to stay young: Lower body workouts help to build your body muscles. Continuous muscle movements help in burning the calories and fat from your body. Regular exercises like squats and jumps keep the muscles on your lower body toned and fit. They help you to look younger, increase your flexibility and prevent you from having a sedentary lifestyle.
- They improve your stamina: By doing squats on a regular basis, you train yourself to exercise for a longer time. As you keep doing it on a daily basis, you will also notice an increase in the amount of weight that you can lift or carry while walking or running.
- Improves stability of the joints: The lower body includes a number of muscles. These muscles are attached to different bones and joints. All these joints and bones help in movement and posture. The muscles are also responsible for helping with the stability of the joints.
- They help in burning fat: One of the best ways to build muscle mass in your lower body is to do squats using weights or a resistance band. These are easy exercises that anyone can do and they can be done anywhere. In addition, they help you build muscle while burning fat at the same time. Doing three sets of 10 reps will give you visible results.
5 Lower Body Workouts for Building Strength
Fitness is essential for a healthy lifestyle. It keeps the body physically fit, and increases overall energy levels. Creating an effective workout plan that focuses on lower body strength training, and improves overall health and strength is the key to develop lean muscles, increase metabolism and improve cardiovascular activity. By increasing lower body strength, you are working towards improving your overall health.
Lower body workouts are important for the best possible results. So, if your goal is to build strength, then this guide will help you.
- Step-Ups: Step-ups are a full-body exercise that targets the glutes (butt), hamstrings (back of the thigh) and thighs. The glutes support the hips, knees, and lower back. The hamstrings are responsible for bending your knees and extending your hips. Grab a heavy box (which can possibly handle your weight) and step upon it. Bring your other foot to the top of the box and control your downward movement until you are back at the base of the box. Once you are comfortable with the string of steps, add weights for building strength.
- Squats: This exercise targets the butt, thighs and quads (front of the thigh). It strengthens the lower back, improves posture, and builds endurance in the legs. It is an excellent exercise for athletes because it helps improve performance in all sports activities.
- Lunges: Lunges help in the reinforcement of stability and provide functional strength for day to day activities. Start by widening your feet shoulder-width apart and drop your hips until both your knees are parallel with the hips. Push off with your forward foot and return to the initial position. Repeat the same with the other leg. Once you have mastered the act, put a dumbbell in each hand to level up your workout.
- Deadlift: Grip the weight on the floor with your feet hip-width apart. Try to keep your back as straight as possible and push through the floor with your feet by lifting the weight until you are standing tall. It is extremely important to perform deadlift properly because it targets vulnerable structures in your back, therefore a bad formation can be counterproductive.
- Reverse table up: Sit on the floor and place your hands under your shoulders. Your fingers should be pointing in front of you. Place your feet shoulder-width apart and squeeze your glutes. Push through your heels as you bridge your hips up. Your body should form a table with your torso and hips parallel to the floor. Hold this position for few seconds and then relax.
Get a great workout by incorporating compound lifts, which work for multiple muscle groups at the same time. The key is to keep your form strict and use enough weight to keep the reps in the 4-8 range. The focus should be on building strength over time rather than adding weight each week.
That way, you’re not overextending yourself and you’ll be able to lift more weight than you probably could on a barbell, which can lead to injury.
To build strength or muscle mass, you should perform different compound movements like squat, dead-lift and bench press. These exercises work on multiple muscle groups and help in building strength. Exercises for the lower body are an important part of a workout. Building strength in your lower body can help tone and shape your thighs, buttocks and calves.