Skin Problems Associated with Face Masks
Brace yourselves. The viral post of a girl who is suffering from acne caused by wearing face masks has become viral. If you have been wearing face masks such as n95 to prevent yourself from the coronavirus then you should be more careful as there are chances that you will get acne due to it.
The reason behind the same is that face masks are made up of cloth and other materials which can cause acne and skin irritation. If the material touches your skin for a long time then there could be chances of developing skin issues.
Another reason is that during the winters, our skin gets dry so during this time if you start using face masks the water in your skin evaporates much faster thus increasing the chance of getting acne.
One of the dermatologists from Bangalore says, ''No matter what kind of material your mask is made of, regular and long term use of these face masks can lead to acne and related skin problems because it can cause infection in your skin and your immune system will react against it''.
A survey conducted by our Good Health Company, a health and wellness brand, indicates that of people between the ages of 18 and 35, 60% are likely to have skin problems due to wearing face masks.
This is because these face masks — made of fabric or paper — have a tendency to trap moisture and heat.
How to prevent skin problems caused by wearing face masks
It is important to follow certain guidelines while wearing a face mask to avoid skin problems.
- Wear the Right Kind of Face Mask: To prevent skin problems, look for a comfortable mask that must have at least two layers of natural, breathable fabric. Avoid synthetic fabrics, such as nylon, polyester, and rayon on the layer that rests against your skin. These are more likely to irritate your skin and cause breakouts.
- Wash your Cloth Masks Everyday: Many health care professionals are now recommending that you must wash your cloth face mask after every use. Washing it will remove dirt and oils that stick to the skin cells, leading to skin problems.
- Avoid Wearing Makeup: Do not wear makeup when you are wearing a mask because the makeup is more likely to clog your pores and cause irritation to your skin inside the mask. You can use products that are labelled as non-comedogenic.
- Apply Petroleum Jelly to your Lips: Regular use of face masks can lead to dry skin and chapped lips so you can apply petroleum jelly on your lips to prevent these issues. You can apply petroleum jelly to your lips after watching your face and before putting on your mask.
- Use Face Rollers: Jade Rollers has been used by people for its beauty benefits because it can help the skin absorb night care products easily. Apart from this, a jade roller can improve complexion and reverse uneven skin tone. Jade roller can boost collagen production in the skin, thereby it can help you in keeping pimples and related issues at bay while wearing masks.
- Use Anti-Acne Gel: All-natural anti-acne gel is an effective treatment to prevent acne and related issues caused by wearing face masks. The anti-acne gel is packed with the goodness of glycolic acid, salicylic acid, niacinamide, zinc and aloe vera. All these ingredients have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that can protect your skin like a pro.
- Apply an Organic Powder: Before wearing face masks, apply some powder to your face where the mask touches the skin. In this way, you can reduce skin irritation. If you tend to have dry skin, apply a moisturizing cream immediately after taking off the mask for the day. If you have a flare of red irritated skin, short-term use of a moisturizer after taking off the masks may be helpful.
“Maskne” Skin Care Routine
People who are prone to maskne can use gentle, mild soaps for their faces. Also, do not forget to apply moisturizer at night before going to bed. You can also use a barrier cream or spray such as petroleum jelly or zinc oxide to get rid of skin irritation.
Stay away from unnecessary cosmetics for a few days if you are required to wear a face mask regularly because these cosmetics can clog your pores or aggravate your skin issues.
If your skin issues do not heal even after trying out various home remedies and over-the-counter medications, get a professional’s opinion who can help you to identify your condition and manage it accordingly.
Mars by GHC is India's most trusted Men's health and wellness brand. The company started with men's grooming products such as hair oils, face wash etc., and entered the uncharted territory of skincare with the introduction of Mars skincare for men. Today, Mars skincare for men is one of the premium brands in the market, catering to the skin needs of millions of men, and is supported by India's leading dermatologists.
You can check out our skincare products made with natural ingredients that can help you get rid of acne and related skin issues.