Ingrown Hair On Face
Ingrown hair is the painful red bumps that often occur due to shaving, tweezing, or waxing. It can also happen when dead skin cells clog the hair follicles, blocking the hair from growing towards the surface. When the hair regrows, it grows sideways into the skin rather than towards the surface.
This article will help you deal with the facial ingrown hair crisis and how to prevent them.
Ways to get rid of Ingrown facial hair
Here is a simple routine to follow every time you shave to get rid of ingrown hair.
1. Wash your face regularly
Washing your face with water alone might not be the best solution to get rid of ingrown hair alone. Using a mild cleanser or exfoliator will help to remove any dirt, dead skin cells, or even oil that is clogging your pores.
Use a cleanser that has exfoliant properties to rub on your skin. Rub it in the face and neck region in circular motions to exfoliate the dirt and dead skin cells. Rinse it with warm water.
2. Shave properly
Shaving in the wrong direction, or wrong shaving techniques might increase the chances of getting ingrown facial hair. Some people pull the skin while shaving, which makes the facial hair too short which again increases the chances of ingrown hair. You need to shave it in the direction of facial hair growth. Shaving in the opposite direction will cut the hair too short.
3. Use a shaving cream
Shaving on a dry beard without any lubricant will definitely cause ingrown hair. Make sure to wash your beard with water and apply shaving cream before shaving. It will help in removing hair with one or two strokes.
4. Clean your razor blade
Using the same razor, again and again, might increase the risk of bacterial or fungal infection. It is important to change old razor blades and get new ones.
Along with regular changing of blades, cleaning your razor blade is also important to avoid any kind of infection. Rish your razor blade underwater after every stroke. Use an alcohol-based cleaner to clean the razor blades after every use.
5. Switch razor blades
Switch your razor blades to a single edge razor blade if you are using a double edge or triple edge razor blade. Because double edge razors shave close to your skin causing ingrown.
If using an electric razor, don’t set the razor to the closest setting.
6. Apply aftershave
It is important to moisturize skin after shaving. Applying an after-shave moisturizer helps in keeping the skin soft and decreases any irritation after shaving. Wash your face with cold water after shaving to tighten or close the pores and apply a moisturizer after your face gets dry. Tightening pores is very important to prevent ingrown hair.
Ingrown Hair Home Remedies
- Scrub the area to loosen the hair from the follicle and come out of the skin
- Apply tea tree oil to decrease infection
- Use oatmeal-based lotions to soothe skin and exfoliate.
- You can even use a sterile tweezer to remove the hair out but only if it is on the skin surface.
- Do not pop the ingrown bump which can cause infection.
How to prevent ingrown hair?
- Rub your face in circular motions every day with an exfoliator or wet cloth to open up the ingrown hair.
- Use a single-blade razor.
- Wet your beard with warm water before shaving and make sure to use shaving cream every time you shave.
- Shave in the direction of beard or hair growth.
- Do not apply too many strokes. Use 1-2 strokes of the razor to decrease the risk of hair slipping into your skin.
- Don’t shave too closely with the skin. The shorter the hair, the more the chance of getting ingrown hair.
- Wash your face with cold water after shaving and apply a moisturizing aftershave to soothe skin.
Ingrown hair, the red swollen, bumpy, boil-like sore causes discomfort. It occurs due to shaving, waxing, or tweezing out any fair. When the hair regrows back, instead of growing in a normal direction towards the skin surface it grows in the wrong direction towards the sideways causing ingrown hair. This article will guide you through how to get rid of ingrown facial hair and also on how to prevent them.