How to Keep Your Lips Healthy?
Healthy Lips Home Remedies
Blistering sun and freezing cold temperatures take their toll on your lips. Dry, chapped lips can mean painful injections, embarrassing cracks and even blisters. They can be extremely difficult to treat and oftentimes the only solution is to depend on heavy lotions and creams to soothe them.
You've known about your chapped lips for a while now and you've been treating them but they just don't seem to want to get better. You may have even resorted to expensive and painful lip treatments such as laser treatments and injections.
There are a host of products to help you keep your lips soft and smooth. If you don’t have the funds for a lip exfoliator, try these home remedies for naturally smooth lips.
– Apply petroleum jelly or olive oil to the lips.
- Use a lip balm that contains Shea butter.
- Apply organic honey on the lips.
- Crush a banana and apply it to your lips.
The lips are an area of the body that is often left unattended- however, they are an important part of the body that can easily become lifeless and cracked if you’re not putting proper care into them.
Dry and chapped lips are not easy to deal with. It is important to choose the right lip care product for your chapped lips. Have you ever used petroleum jelly to soothe your chapped lips? Well, if you have, then you already know that this method is a temporary solution and it does not work well. Petroleum jelly can work on your dry lips but it can cause more problems such as clogged pores and pimples.
How to Exfoliate Lips Properly?
The lips are the most sensitive part of our body because, without them, it is impossible to speak or eat. That is why we need to keep the lips always moisturized and protected from more or less aggressive external factors such as sun, wind, heat, cold, dust and pollution.
Now exfoliating your lips regularly can help them appear softer, smoother and more attractive. The sheer fact that you are taking the time to look after your lips can be a huge boost to your self-esteem. However, there are a few ways in which exfoliating lips can go wrong and we’re here to tell you how…
There are several methods to exfoliate the lips properly:
- Use a lip scrub and apply it on the lips as if it were a moisturizing lip balm. This will cleanse and exfoliate the lips of dead skin cells, that are building up.
- You can also exfoliate your lips with sugar, cocoa butter and honey. Mix all these ingredients together and massage your lips gently with this mixture.
- Always use lip balms that contain SPF.
Winter Lip Care
Lip balms and lip creams are the essentials of winter to keep your lips moisturized. However, sometimes dry and cracked lips may be a reason for such lip balms and creams to fail in their purpose of protecting your lips from drying out.
There are many reasons for lips to get dry, however, some of the commonest causes are:
- Cold weather: Cold winds can make your skin feel dry by weakening the moisture barrier. In addition, dry air conditions can lead to dry and cracked lips.
- Sun exposure: Sunlight may cause your lips to become dry. When your lips get exposed to sunlight, they also get tan and this may also make them prone to cracking.
- Application of wrong lip balm/lip cream: Selecting the wrong lip care product can actually worsen the problem of chapped lips as they may contain ingredients that can irritate your skin and cause more drying of the lips.
Well, winters can be really harsh on our lips. Cold winds, dry air, steamy showers or just plain air-conditioning can leave our lips dry, cracked and even chapped. The skin on our lips is very thin and so they tend to get damaged quickly.
If you wear lipstick or gloss regularly, then you need to take extra care of your lips in winter. Lipstick tends to settle into lines, making them look even more cracked but you can prevent that by keeping your lips well moisturized during winters.
You don’t have to visit the pharmacy every time you feel some irritation in your chapped lips, just get some home remedies to treat your itchy and dry lips.
We recommend that you start with a small amount of exfoliating product. Even though lip scrubs or lip exfoliators may be an item that feels like it can be used liberally, always take care not to overdo it. As part of your daily skincare routine, always use a small amount of product and avoid rubbing it directly onto your lips as you may cause irritation.