Garlic has been used since ancient times for many reasons, it has anti-fungal, anti-microbial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory, anti-rheumatoid, anti-cancer properties which heal many diseases. It is a traditional herb broadly used in Indian kitchens, to enhance the taste of a dish and it is also considered as a key to improving overall health.
The father of western medicine ‘’Hippocrates” from ancient greek advised garlic as medicine to treat many diseases like cold, cough, inflammation, tiredness, digestive issues. The area of the study confirmed that it has lots of medicinal properties.
Garlic belongs to the onion family called “ALLIUM”. It looks like a bulb, which consists of individual cloves. Externally it is covered by a paper-like protective layer and has thirteen to nineteen cloves in each bulb. It is grown throughout the world and is also famous for its fabulous taste and strong smell.
Anciently it was only utilized for medicinal purposes and also thoroughly chronicled by cultures of china, greeks, Romans and Babylonians. According to studies, when garlic is diced and crushed it releases “sulphur” compounds which are responsible for medicinal properties. Conceivably “ALLICIN” is the major compound.
Nevertheless, allicin is the tentative element that will only show its presence when it has been crushed or chewed. The other two compounds “s allyl cysteine, diallyl disulphide” are responsible for health benefits.
When ingested orally it drives down the digestive tract and actions and migrates all over the body and shows its medicinal benefits.
Health Benefits of Garlic
- It is amazingly nutritious which consists of fiber, manganese, selenium, copper, potassium, phosphorus, iron, calcium, vitamin B1, vitamin B6 and vitamin C, has fewer calories and 0.1% of carbohydrates.
- Garlic fights against viruses, bacteria and increases immunity in human beings. It combats cold and flu, if included in the daily diet.
- High blood pressure or hypertension is caused by stress, improper diet, sedentary lifestyle, which raises cardiovascular issues in the body and leads to heart attacks and is fatal. The one kitchen ingredient which can put high blood pressure under control is “Garlic” and “renounces heart attacks”. By consuming four garlic cloves in the early morning on an empty stomach and cure these ailments.
- There are two types of cholesterol: one is low-density lipoprotein(bad cholesterol) and the other is high-density lipoprotein( good cholesterol). This LLP accumulates in the blood vessels and stops the blood flow and it leads to heart attack, and HDL soaks up the good cholesterol in the liver and eliminates it from the body and can stop help in controlling heart attacks. This garlic can lower this low-density lipoprotein.
- Alzheimer's and dementia are memory loss and forgetfulness disorders that are caused by the oxidation of free radicals that lead to ageing. Garlic exhibits antioxidative properties which reduce the oxidative strain in human beings and induce potential in the body and reduce ageing and increase the efficiency of the brain.
- Garlic will maintain the body's physiological mechanisms and put high blood pressure, heart disease at bay. It cures all age-related ailments and helps in living longer and healthy lives. It fights many life-threatening diseases and helps in providing immunity to old age people to gain resistance.
- Garlic even enhances athletic performance in men. Anciently it was given to daily labourers to work for a longer time and also given to Greek Olympic athletes to enhance performance. According to studies it has been given to heart disease patients, where it has shown significant effect in lowering heart disease and also been researched it can decrease the exercise-induced fatigue.
- Selenium is the agent in garlic which activates the liver and flushes out the toxic material from the body and also has antimicrobial properties which will purify the blood and cleanse the intestines, making them free from viruses and bacteria and also stops producing stress hormones which may produce acid in the body and cause acidity. It produces certain digestive enzymes which increase the efficiency of digestion.
- Estrogen is the hormone that maintains bone health in women. Menopausal women tend to produce low estrogen, which stimulates on weakening of the bones. Garlic is known to strengthen the bones if consumed on a daily basis.
- It benefits breastfeeding mothers to produce more milk and gain immunity in cold weather from cold and cough. It provides the entire body with the strength to recover and obtain health.
- It has anti-cancer properties and shows carcinogenic effects on cancer cells, by ripping off the cancer cells and helps in not producing more cells. It flushes away toxins through the colon and imparts strength to overall health.
- Garlic is declared to have many advantages on skin and health. It induces hair growth and strengthens the hair and stops premature greying. Adding garlic clove to our daily oil has shown many benefits to the hair. Pimples can be cleared out by applying garlic paste.
Garlic has been shown to increase the sexual drive in men and helps in perform better. Chewing two to three garlic can show desired results for men.