Erectile dysfunction and smoking
Smoking is a very serious problem that can ruin your health and have adverse effects. If you are an active smoker then we would urge you to give up your addiction as it can cause a lot of problems in the future.
Erectile dysfunction is a major cause of the problem in a lot of men, this is a serious condition in men which makes it hard for them to perform well and satisfy their partner. It is also commonly known as ED. Many men usually shy away from these conversations as the world and society have always tried to hush sexual problems.
If you are an active smoker and you do suffer from Erectile dysfunction then it is possible that this condition is being caused due to your smoking addiction. We know that leaving and coming out of a serious addiction may look like a struggle in the beginning but it is only for you and your health.
Smoking and erectile dysfunction connection
Smoking is a huge health hazard, smoking can almost damage all your organs and have a serious impact on them in the long run. The chemicals present in cigarettes that you smoke can cause a serious injury to the lining of your blood vessels and affect the way they function. These chemicals can also cause major harm to your heart, brain, kidneys, and other tissues throughout your body.
The chemicals in your cigarettes have a huge impact on the blood vessels on your penis that can be the cause of erectile dysfunction. The blood vessels not only get damaged they also get blocked by the infusion of the chemicals. An erection can only erupt when the arteries in the penis expand and fill with blood after receiving signals from nerves in the penis. The nerves respond to sexual arousal signals that come straight from the brain, even if your nervous system is working fine you won't be able to get an erection.
Erectile dysfunction usually happens at a much older age, however, studies have shown that more and more young men in their 30s are experiencing it. This is due to their smoking addiction which weakens the blood vessels in their penis. If you are an avid smoker then this is your wake-up call before you experience erectile dysfunction.
Symptoms of erectile dysfunction
Let us now get into the symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction and see what are the warning signs that you might be ignoring.
- Low-Performance drive
- Inability to perform
- Performance anxiety
- Impossible to keep an erection
If you are facing any of the above-mentioned issues then please visit a doctor today and share your problems, find solutions, or research for yourself.
How to get help
It is important to realize your signs and take action on them as the soonest. If you are someone who is suffering from Erectile dysfunction then visit a doctor and get yourself checked. Consulting a professional is essential in this area as he can guide you better to make sound choices that will help you in reinventing your life.
Quitting your bad habits is not impossible and even if you have been unsuccessful before that does not mean that you stop trying to make your life better. Here is how you can start on your journey to quit smoking:
- Start by making a list of all the reasons you want to quit smoking. Also mention all the reasons as to why you have been unsuccessful in doing so.
- Pay attention to what triggers you into smoking, this will give you an idea of what you need to cut down in your life. Some of the examples are drinking alcohol or coffee.
- Getting support from your family and friends is a great way to distract you from the addiction. It is okay that you are addicted to something but it is great that you have taken a huge step forward to manage your urge and think it over.
- It is also important to have a talk with your doctor about prescriptions and over-the-counter medications that are specially designed to reduce the urge to smoke. If quitting is harder than you thought then it is completely fine.
- It is important to discover new hobbies that may help you distract from the constant urge to smoke. You can follow a great exercise regime or find new hobbies to occupy your hands and your mind.
- You should be prepared for some small setbacks and delays. It is okay if you break your consistency once but always remember it is for the higher good.
- Think about your long-term plans, keep yourself occupied with work or new ideas that may interest you.
Correction aids that helps in quitting
Here are a few correction aids that you can rely on until you quit smoking.
- Nicotine gum: it comes in a box of 48 pieces, you chew one piece of gum every 1 to 2 hours, make sure you don't chew more than 24 gums a day.
- Nicotine patches: you can buy patches in 1-2 week boxes, all you need to do is apply them directly to your skin once a day.
- Nicotine inhalers: These are only available by prescription. The nicotine released from the inhaler is absorbed in the mouth.
We hope this article has been able to help you in making the right decision for yourself. Smoking is not only a bad addiction but is a serious life hazard that will only increase and worsen your health over a while. If you want to have a good sexual life then make sure you quit smoking today.