The most popular use for hair extensions is to add length. They can be clipped in at the roots to add volume to your fine, thinning hair and they can be used to lengthen or thicken the entire head of hair. When placed at the scalp hair extensions help disguise receding hairlines by adding fullness and length to the entire style instead of just the hairline itself.
In addition to adding length, hair extensions can also be used to add volume and texture. Straight extensions can be used to add lift and body while curly extensions make naturally curly styles look more voluminous.
Hair Extensions for Women
The term hair extensions relate to a permanent or temporary hair addition procedure. It is usually achieved using either nearly 100% real human hair or synthetic hair. In the world, human hair is divided into different categories like Indian Hair, Chinese Hair, Malaysian Hair, Brazilian Hair, European Hair and so on. These types of human hair differ from each other according to their origin, texture and durability.
The term synthetic hair is used to define any man-made fibre used for weaving hair extensions. The most common synthetic hair categories are wig hair, jesmonite, micro loop, silk base closures or remy hair. However, these types of fibres do not have the same texture as 100% real human hair and have a shorter lifetime when exposed to sun, water and temperature changes. That being said, many women prefer synthetic fibre because it is less expensive than real human hair and it can be dyed in any colour.
Human hair is hair collected from a person's head, or sometimes, from animals. Human hair may be collected by cutting or shaving all, or part of the hair length. The collection method may differ across the world due to cultural values.
Human Hair VS Synthetic Hair Extensions
Human hair extensions have become increasingly popular in recent years as people opt for hair that is rich, long, and full. Extensions can be used to add volume or length, and can also be used to cover areas of thinning hair. Hair extensions for men are a great way to transform your look as well!
Human hair is real or virgin hair that naturally grows on a human scalp. It is collected from the donor without harming them. In this process, no chemicals are used to process the hair. But it is still not 100% natural.
Some companies bleach it, dye it and even use chemicals that could be harmful to your hair. Human hair can get damaged due to various reasons like sun damage, permanent hair colour, curling irons and hair dryers.
Synthetic hair on the other hand is manufactured by chemically treating regular synthetic materials. They come in different colours, lengths and thicknesses. They are perfect for any occasion and can solve your styling and cost problems. They do not need any maintenance like human hair extensions. They are also lighter than human hair extensions. They come in different styles like clip-ins, weft, loop and micro rings.
Human Hair Extensions – Pros
Human hair has the advantage of being very elastic and very versatile for drying and styling techniques. Today, human hair is considered as the best option for wigs as compared to synthetic hair. Human hair wigs are available in different colours and textures that can be matched to your preference. Another advantage of human hair is that it is reusable. With proper care, a human hair wig can be used for more than three years.
Because human hair can be dyed, curled, plucked and styled just like natural hair, it is also popular among women and girls who are transitioning their real hair to a wig.
Different Types of Hair Extensions
Hair extensions are strands of natural or synthetic hair that are sewn or clipped into your own hair to give a fuller look. Hair extensions come in a wide variety of looks and styles including straight, wavy, curly, and braids. They are available in a range of lengths; from 2 to 40 inches. Let's take a look at the types of hair extensions available.
Clip-in Hair Extensions
- Clip-in hair extensions are extremely easy to apply.
- You can have full freedom as to when to use and remove them.
- Clip-in hair extensions are available in multicolour and styles.
- Cannot be used continuously for a longer duration as they can break your hair.
- Cannot be worn when you go to bed.
Tape-in Hair Extensions
- One of the fastest methods of applying for hair extensions.
- Tape-in extensions are easy to apply as no heat or other tools are required and the damage caused by these extensions are negligible.
- You cannot use silicone-based hair products on your hair because they can make the extensions slip down.
- These tape-in extensions are not useful for swimmers.
- You cannot tie your hair up when these extensions are in use.
Hot fusion Hair Extensions
- The hot fusion hair extensions can stay in for as long as 6 months.
- Since the keratin dries clear, you can’t really see where the extensions have been attached.
- Hot fusion hair extensions can blend perfectly with your natural hair.
- Hot fusion hair extension methods take up to 6-8 hours.
- The hot fusion hair extension method requires the application of heat which can damage your hair.
Cold fusion Hair Extensions
- The cold fusion hair extension method does not require any heat, therefore it reduces your chances of hair damage.
- It is applied extremely close to the roots and hence blends perfectly with natural hair.
- The clamping tool used in this method can cause hair breakage.
- The cold fusion hair extensions are not reusable.
- You may experience headaches or irritation for a few days after application.
Hair extensions are pieces of hair that are attached to natural hair in order to add volume and length. Hair extensions can be sewn, glued, sprayed and clipped onto the scalp or added by braiding with the natural hair for a more natural look.
The type of hair extension you choose will depend on several factors including the look you are trying to achieve, how much volume you want, your hair texture and possibly even your budget.