Sperm life cycle
Each time a human being ejaculates, he is giving away millions of his sperms in the process. Amazing, isn’t it? But why is there such an obsession around sperms? Well, a little history might help.
What was initially thought to be just the contribution of genetic material from the father is more than that. Sperm is seen as a vehicle that carries the DNA that codes for a particular characteristic. For example, sperm from a donor with blue eyes would carry the DNAs responsible for blue eyes, while sperm from a donor with brown eyes would carry the DNA responsible for brown eyes.
What exactly are sperm cells?
Sperm is the male reproductive cell, containing genetic material that is vital to the production of human life. Human sperm, created in the testicles, are delivered via the vas deferens and ejaculation.
Human sperm is the reproductive cell of men and is produced in male testicles. Its function is to fertilize a female ovum or oocyte to initiate pregnancy and carry the genetic characteristics of the father of the baby.
What is the Life Span of Sperm Cells?
The life span of sperm depends on what man it belongs to. The average life span of sperms is only 3 to 5 days in fertile semen. However, sperms can survive in a woman’s body anywhere between 5 days to one week.
How Long Does it Take for Sperms to Regenerate?
The sperm regeneration cycle is called spermatogenesis which takes about 64 days to complete the cycle of sperm production and maturation. Spermatogenesis constantly supplies sperm that are capable of traveling through the vagina to an unfertilized ovum in a woman’s ovaries to complete the process of conception.
What is the Number of Sperm released During Ejaculation?
The human sperm is a male sex cell that is produced in the testicles. It is needed for the fertilization of the egg and the creation of a new life form. The sperms are naturally channeled to the seminal vesicles through the vas deferens, which are a part of the male reproductive system.
Sperms are present in the semen and their number depends on many factors including age, weight, diet, and medical conditions.
The number of sperms released during ejaculation varies from anything between 50 to 100 million. Contrary to common perception, one healthy adult male produces about 1,500 sperms every second.
What is Sperm Motility?
Sperm motility refers to the percentage of sperm in a sample that is moving as well as the assessment of how they are moving. On average, at least 32% of sperm move forward in a straight line one hour after ejaculation.
How to Produce Healthy Sperms and Increase Sperm Count?
It is extremely important to produce healthy sperms as they have higher chances of creating a pregnancy. Some useful tips to produce healthy sperms are given below.
- Avoid smoking or using drugs, especially anabolic steroids.
- Avoid contact with toxins like pesticides or heavy metals.
- Avoid drinking alcohol extensively.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Exercise regularly.
- Keep a check on your weight.
- Try to keep your scrotum cool because heat and humidity can reduce sperm production.
- Avoid hot baths and wear boxers instead of briefs.
- Avoid wearing tight bottoms.
- Take Ashwagandha, which is a medicinal herb that can improve fertility by boosting testosterone levels.
- Minimize stress and increase the intake of Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and zinc.
What is Semen without Sperms?
Semen without sperms is a condition called Azoospermia, which happens to about 1% of all men and 15% of infertile men.
Azoospermia is caused due to a blockage that prevents sperm from entering the ejaculate. There are many surgical options available for treating Azoospermia.
There are no symptoms to detect this condition but if you have been trying to create pregnancy but to no avail, there are chances that you might be suffering from Azoospermia.
How to Create Pregnancy with Low Sperm Count?
If you have been diagnosed with Oligozoospermia (low sperm count), there are several options available that you and your partner can try.
- Be consistent and keep trying to conceive naturally for a little longer. To aid this technique, avoid alcohol consumption and stop smoking. Have sex every 2 or 3 days and maintain a proper diet.
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) is a popular treatment for low sperm count. In this process, the egg is removed from the woman’s ovaries and fertilized with the sperm in a laboratory. The fertilized egg is then planted back in the woman’s womb to grow and develop.
- Gonadotrophin Medicine can be used to improve fertility if you have low levels of gonadotrophin hormones. These hormones are responsible to stimulate the production of sperms.
Sex and relationship problems are the most popular topic that you will hear among your friends, colleagues, or relatives. And when it comes to sex issues, you know that there is no savior like Mars by GHC. We are not just a brand but a belief that your partner can be your soulmate for life. The key to any successful relationship is communication and understanding.
If you are feeling sexually frustrated because you are unable to create a pregnancy, we recommend consulting a specialist who can diagnose your problem and provide accurate treatment.