Unexplained Weight Loss
Involuntary weight loss without intending to lose weight. The rapid loss of weight might be due to many reasons. The only norm for this involuntary weight loss is noting down the symptoms and visiting the doctor and knowing the reason. Bear in mind that weight loss may be due to some stress factors.
The following are the causes and the treatments for weight loss:
- Thyroid: This abnormal condition where, excessive production of thyroid hormone “thyroxine” is seen in the body, and it is termed as “HYPERTHYROIDISM”, eventually, it escalates the body’s metabolism and results in weight loss, even if you have a sound appetite.
The symptoms of hyperthyroidism are:
- Unexplained weight loss
- Abnormal heart rate
- Loss of energy
- Irregular periods
- Hand twitching
- Ingesting too much iodine
Treatment: Remedy or medication of hyperthyroidism hang on to the age and extremity of the disease. It can be cured with anti-thyroid medicines, radioactive iodine and beta-blocker or through surgery.
- Muscle loss: Even losing muscles leads to unintentional weight loss, our body is made up of fat mass and fat free-mass, such as bone, muscle and water. If muscle loss is observed, gradually weight will get reduced. One of the symptoms is muscle weakness, and one of your limbs looks larger than the other. This condition is mostly seen in people who don’t exercise, do desk work and are bedridden.
- Nerve damage
- Accident or injury
- Rheumatoid arthritis
Treatment: enriching the food with protein and essential vitamin minerals and fats. Proper nutrition and exercise and get rescued.
- Diabetes: One more reason for involuntary weight loss is “Diabetes” type1. Inadequate production of insulin by pancreas because the immune system is attacking pancreatic cells which reduced the production of insulin. With no insulin, the body can’t use glucose appropriately for energy, leading to loss of glucose by urine, and leads to increased blood glucose. The kidneys filter out the unutilised glucose. Sugar along with calories are being eliminated from the body.
- Weight loss
- Blurred vision
- Increased appetite
- Frequent urination
Treatment: insulin injections, supervise blood sugar levels, yoga, exercise and proper diet can clear out this issue.
- Depression: Worry is the root cause for MISERY. Feeling low and sad, dwelling through sorrows all the time, lost self-esteem and lost interest in doing a regular routine like going to school or college. Mostly it is seen from puberty to old age. Decreased appetite, where one loses interest in eating food, which leads to weight loss. However, if a few people's appetites increase, it varies from person to person.
- Loss of interest in hobbies
- Incessant sorrow
- Dwelling in past
- Low energy
Treatment: yoga, meditation and yoga Nidra are to be practised daily and consult a psychiatrist and have therapy, antidepressants.
- Irritable bowel syndrome: It's nothing but inflammatory or swollen bowel syndrome. There are two types:
ULCERATIVE COLITIS: This causes swelling or inflammation and ulcers across the peripheral lining of the large intestine that is, colon and rectum.
CROHN’S DISEASE: In this sort of inflammatory bowel syndrome, the entire lining of the digestive tract gets inflamed and the inflammation is profound.
It keeps our body in a catabolic state, where it incessantly uses the produced energy and suppresses the ghrelin and leptin which are hunger hormones.
It decreases the appetite and results in weight loss
- Bloody stools
- Stomach pain
Treatment: Alter the lifestyle like diet, sleep, exercise and yoga. Induce probiotics in the meals. Consult a physician for further medication and surgery.
- Tuberculosis: This is a bacterial disease caused by “MYCOBACTERIUM TUBERCULOSIS” where it affects the lungs directly. It is a communicable disease that spreads from one person to another person, through droplets and fomites. This is an airborne disease, if a person sneezes or coughs the droplets enter the air and affect the healthy person. If a person is resistant to the virus, it stays inactive in the body and in case if a person is susceptible, the virus is activated in the body; falling prey to the disease.
Symptoms include dry cough, fever, chills, weight loss, loss of appetite, diarrhoea, weakness, night sweats and chest pain.
Treatment: Visiting a doctor and getting treated with a course of antibiotics for 9 to 12 months. Changes in diet and sleep cycles.
- HIV: “HUMAN IMMUNODEFICIENCY VIRUS” is a sexually transmitted disease. It is caused by a retrovirus which affects T-cells of the immune system and decreases the resistance of immunity, to fight against diseases. If left untreated it leads to the last stage of HIV which is called AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome).
- Weight loss in the last stage
- Unexplained fatigue
- Night sweats
- Low immunity
- Sore throat
Treatment: antiretroviral medication is used to treat HIV and to retard the last stage (aids) which returns the weight loss too.
There are many causes of unexplained weight loss. Some of them we have mentioned above. If you experience any of these issues, consult a doctor immediately for early diagnosis and treatment.