Breakfast the most important meal of the day
We often hear grown-up people saying that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that we should not miss it for anything in the world. Well, that is very true and we fully believe that and for this reason, ever since we started our own journey towards fitness and wellness many years ago, we have been eating breakfast every single day.
Breakfast is the first meal of the day. The science behind breakfast shows that it is far more than just nutrition for your body. It’s actually fueling your brain with the single most important substance for helping you focus, learn and have mental clarity – glucose.
This is because your brain uses glucose as its primary source of fuel. When you skip breakfast, your brain doesn’t get the fuel it needs. And research shows that your brain needs glucose regularly throughout the day, not just at breakfast time. Studies show that regularly skipping breakfast will hurt your ability to think clearly. And without enough glucose, you can actually make poor decisions like choosing unhealthy foods later in the day (which isn’t good for anyone’s diet!).
One of the most famous and easy breakfast recipes is Poha. It originated in Maharashtra under the regime of the Holkars and the Scindias. Poha is a wholesome meal and the perfect healthy start to the day.
Benefits of Eating Poha
Poha is one of the popular breakfast items in India. By adding some veggies, a few drops of lemon juice and a bit of sugar, you have a dish that is not only healthy for your body but is also tasty and easy to make. Poha is a rich source of fibre, iron and potassium and can be eaten as a healthy breakfast or as a quick snack.
Poha is basically flattened rice. This dish is perfect for those trying to lose weight and for those who want to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Here are some health benefits of poha (flattened rice):
- Poha is a healthy and trendy breakfast recipe for all ages. People who are suffering from diabetes can also eat this delicious dish.
- Pregnant and lactating women should try poha plus vegetables and it will give them lots of proteins and calcium, which is extremely important for their health and the baby's health.
- Poha is a natural source of vitamin C and hence very good for fighting against cold, cough and lung diseases.
- Vegetarians can get all the proteins that they need by eating poha with homemade vegetable curries or simply with curd.
- People suffering from chronic constipation can try this recipe for relief. Poha is also one of the most effective recipes for people following an anti-obesity diet because poha can help them stay full for a longer period.
- People suffering from chronic diarrhoea can also try this recipe as it contains soluble and insoluble fiber and hence keeps the stomach full for a longer period of time and hence controls diarrhoea.
Healthy Poha Recipes for Breakfast:
- Simple Poha Recipe:
- Take 2 cups of flattened rice and soak them in water for 5 minutes.
- Drain all the water and add turmeric and salt.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame and add mustard seeds once the oil is hot.
- Add peanuts and saute for about a minute. Then add chopped onions, green chilly and curry leaves.
- Cook for 2 minutes and then add green peas and other vegetables that you like.
- Then add in the rinsed poha and toss to combine all the ingredients properly. Sprinkle some water if it feels dry. Cook for another 2 minutes and serve by squeezing some lemon juice.
- Poha Uttapam Recipe:
- Soak half a cup of poha in enough water for 5 minutes.
- Drain off the water and blend to obtain a smooth paste.
- Transfer the poha puree to a large bowl and add half cup rava, half cup water, half cup curd and half tablespoon salt.
- Mix all the ingredients properly and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- Prepare the toppings by taking half onion, few beans, carrot slices, capsicum slices, half tablespoon coriander and half tablespoon salt.
- Now pour the poha batter into a small uttapam and top with the toppings.
- Sprinkle some chilli flakes and pour one tablespoon of oil around the uttapam.
- Cover and cook for about a minute and then flip over. Your poha uttapam is ready and you can enjoy it with tomato sauce or coconut chutney.
- Curd Poha Recipe:
- Wash the flattened rice and keep it aside for 10 minutes.
- Mix thick curd, sugar and salt and beat them till the curd becomes smooth and the sugar gets dissolved completely.
- Peel some cardamom pods and crush the seeds using mortar and pestle.
- Add the poha and cardamom seeds powder to the curd mixture and mix them well.
- Serve curd poha along with tea or toast as a healthy breakfast option.
Breakfast is the most important meal because it helps to convert carbohydrates into energy to keep us going throughout the day. When we eat food in the morning, we provide our body with the energy it needs to perform simple activities such as walking to work, playing with our pets and preparing for a meeting. Moreover, there are also some healthy breakfasts for weight loss as they help you to feel fuller and prevent overeating later in the day.
Because our body doesn’t store nutrients, we need to consume them every day. Breakfast is a great option to start the day and provide our body with the strength and energy it needs.