Desk jobs have their benefits and risks, recent research has proven that desk jobs increase health hazards like obesity, hypertension, diabetes, raised cholesterol, and osteoarthritis. Continuously sitting for long periods at a desk job poses a constant threat of chronic back, neck, and arm pain and can also be the cause of congestive heart failure and stroke.
With work comes work stress which can, directly and indirectly, affect us in a lot of ways, our lifestyle majorly gets affected due to our job and we must make significant changes to keep up with the type of job we have.
A desk job involves sitting for a longer period. Sitting for long periods can harm your body in several ways. Today we will be talking about all the problems that come along with a desk job and how you can resolve them.
Health problems that come with a desk job
Our body is designed to constantly grind and be in motion. When we keep our body still for longer periods it gets lethargic and can lead to a lot more complications. We are at our best when we are constantly moving and getting things done. Here are all the health-related problems that come along with a desk job.
- We burn fewer calories, which leads to weight gain
- We lose muscle strength and have weaker bones
- We have reduced blood circulation
- We have a weakened immune system
- We develop inflammation
- We develop hormonal imbalances
- You may suffer from a premature death
- Heart diseases, type 2 diabetes, cancer are common to people who do sit for long periods.
- Metabolic syndrome
The above-mentioned were some of the serious effects of a desk job, now let us give you some of the everyday problems that you may face sitting at a spot every day.
- You may suffer from a tingling feeling in the fingers, sore wrists, and lower back pain problems regularly
- You may suffer from eye strain, including redness, a feeling of dryness, soreness, blurry vision, and headache regularly.
- You may suffer from soreness in your neck, shoulders, arms, back, thighs, and lower legs.
If you have a desk job and you are facing any of the above-mentioned issues then make sure you visit a doctor as they will be able to guide you better in every way.
Tips to reduce health risks of a desk job
After talking about all the risk factors that come along with a desk job let us now look into some easy tips and tricks that you can use to reduce health risks caused by a desk job.
Make movement during your workday
- Get up and move basically once at regular intervals
- Use the stairwell rather than the lift whenever the situation allows
- At the point when you're in gatherings, remain as opposed to sitting
- Go for a stroll outside during your lunch and break times
- Rather than sending messages or calling your associates, stroll over to converse with them
- Simple exercises like stretching, walking, or marching on the spot can be performed during breaks.
Utilize a standing work area
- Studies have shown that individuals who utilize a sit/stand work area had less upper back and neck agony and felt more empowered, agreeable, useful, and centered than individuals who didn't utilize one
Set up your workstation that will help with your posture
- Your PC screen ought to be about a safe distance away from you and the highest point of your screen ought to be at brow level. This will assist you with trying not to need to turn upward or down.
- Your console and mouse ought to be at a tallness that keeps your elbows next to you and bowed at 90 degrees. This will assist you with trying not to need to reach too far to even think about utilizing them.
- When sitting, your hips and knees ought to be at 90-degree points. Backing your feet on the floor or ottoman.
- Keep your head straight over your shoulders. Try not to lean forward to your PC.
These were some of the habits that you can change at your work to help you stay away from any health risk, now let us move on to some lifestyle changes you can make that will help you get healthier.
Lifestyle changes to reduce health risks of a desk job
Let us talk about some of the lifestyle changes that you can make to reduce the risks of a desk job.
- Maintaining a good sleeping habit for optimal functioning at your workplace, it is essential to get about 7-8 hours of sound sleep for your body and mind to relax and to be able to feel energized the next day.
- It is essential to eat a healthy and nutritious diet including proteins, natural fats, and complex carbohydrates to maintain general good health. Add green leafy vegetables, fibrous fruits, and seasonal vegetables into your daily meal preps.
- To keep away the work stress and to enjoy life in general make sure you opt for yoga, meditation, mindfulness, and massages are useful as they will help in releasing any buildup of energy and will help you become more relaxed and happy.
A desk job may add a lot of health risks but it is on you to maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle to keep yourself going. We hope you liked all the tips and tricks we shared above to maintain a healthy life even with a desk job.